Anvil Foundry 6.5G BeerSmith 3 profile help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightwulf1974

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm heading into all-grain territory soon and have an Anvil Foundry 6.5G system on its way. In the interim, I have since purchased and have been playing with BeerSmith 3 now for about a week trying to understand everything and get my profile set up as best I can prior to using the system for the first time.

I see there is a preloaded "ANVIL Foundry 6.5 (2.5 gal batch) size" profile so I have been looking it over and have a few questions. I believe (and correct me if I am wrong) that Brian from Short Circuited Brewers is the one who created this profile along with the 10.5 Anvil profile as well.

Anyways, under Mash And Lauder adjustments, the profile as stands has both "Recoverable Mash Dead Space" and "Mash Deadspace Losses" unchecked. "Adjust Mash Vol for Losses" is checked. I am having a hard time (perhaps overthinking) understanding if I leave these selections as is or if I have to make further adjustments. I assume that this profile is already taking this information into account, but really want to make sure so I have my equipment profile setup as much as I can in advance prior to brewing my first AG batch on the system.

Can anyone shed some light on this or help me with this profile in particular ? I've attached the section in within the profile as it's loaded just for reference.

As usual, I appreciate any/all assistance.

~ Nightwulf1974

Attachments

• AF Profile.PNG
    AF Profile.PNG
    225.1 KB · Views: 34
I have a series of posts on the BeerSmith forums on developing a profile for the Anvil 6.5 Gal starting with Developing a profile for the Anvil 6.5G Brewing System - Part 1. Basically, with an AIO unit, there are no mash losses to dead space but if you are planning on a sparge, and want a given water to grain ratio (which is especially important if you are not recirculating), you will want the program to take into account the water under the malt basket.

The boxes checked and unchecked reflect this for the purposes of the program calculating the water volumes correctly. Once you get a few brews on the system, you should have enough data, assuming that you plug in your readings into the session tab, to make an adjustment to account for your actual boil off, efficiency, and process losses.

I have a series of posts on the BeerSmith forums on developing a profile for the Anvil 6.5 Gal starting with Developing a profile for the Anvil 6.5G Brewing System - Part 1. Basically, with an AIO unit, there are no mash losses to dead space but if you are planning on a sparge, and want a given water to grain ratio (which is especially important if you are not recirculating), you will want the program to take into account the water under the malt basket.

The boxes checked and unchecked reflect this for the purposes of the program calculating the water volumes correctly. Once you get a few brews on the system, you should have enough data, assuming that you plug in your readings into the session tab, to make an adjustment to account for your actual boil off, efficiency, and process losses.

Awesome and thanks! So if I am doing no sparge, I can just leave the profile as is for now. Am I understanding you correctly?

Yup. I do no sparge and mine is set up that way. With no sparge, it is less important how much dead space is below the mash basket since all the water is already in the mash.

Back