Anvil Foundry 6.5 threads,all things 6.5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Martys1

Reaction score
I am starting a thread for all things related to the Anvil Foundry 6.5 electric brew kettle.Because the 6.5 is different then the 10.5,there needs to be a place to post all things related to using , brewing, recipes, tips and troubles related to the AF6.5.I purchased one to make smaller batches ,but I find im still brewing 5 gallon batches.
All brewers with an AF6.5 are invited to post.
C9EA4233-7249-47D1-86FA-32E38B8881A8.jpeg
C9EA4233-7249-47D1-86FA-32E38B8881A8.jpeg

tracer bullet

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I too have a 6.5 but haven't found much to be unique to it. Perhaps the ratio of dead space can be surprising but otherwise...

(nearly a gallon underneath and another 30% on the sides is a lot for us when we don't fill the thing up as high)

OP
OP
Martys1

Martys1

Reaction score
No problem with dead space , FB.1.050 anvil 6-6.5 hoppy pilsner

tracer bullet

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Dead space becomes an issue w/ higher gravity beers. Try an Imperial stout and you'll either have to remove the basket and run a bag, or have a mash the consistency of oatmeal.

OP
OP
Martys1

Martys1

Reaction score
I could just use my 15 gallon keggle over propane for that.I just like a shorter brew day. It’s how I keep three taps going.

OP
OP
Martys1

Martys1

Reaction score
Ok back to the thread , I have been brewing lagers since I have a space that stays between 55-60f, so I’ve been fermenting with w34/70, so 4 and k97.The beers are finishing at 6.5 abc.The Nobel hops are very tasty, they are recipes I’ve came up with after a lot of brewing, The AF 6.5 will do the job .

capt_yo55arian

Reaction score
Dead space becomes an issue w/ higher gravity beers. Try an Imperial stout and you'll either have to remove the basket and run a bag, or have a mash the consistency of oatmeal.
I've been thinking about grabbing a bag for the 10.5 foundry. Recently been using the small batch adapter on all my full volume brews... Now im questioning myself on why im even doing it? Thought process= less area for the recirculating wort and/or sparge water to flow out from (forcing it through the bottom of the grains).... But... If I run a bag, isn't that the same issue? Water can recirculate from any point w/ a bag. I get that it has more contact w/ grains, but doesn't the pump recirculation nullify the dead space (to an extent).

capt_yo55arian

Reaction score
I've been thinking about grabbing a bag for the 10.5 foundry. Recently been using the small batch adapter on all my full volume brews... Now im questioning myself on why im even doing it? Thought process= less area for the recirculating wort and/or sparge water to flow out from (forcing it through the bottom of the grains).... But... If I run a bag, isn't that the same issue? Water can recirculate from any point w/ a bag. I get that it has more contact w/ grains, but doesn't the pump recirculation nullify the dead space (to an extent).
My bad, just realized this is a thread for 6.5.

OP
OP
Martys1

Martys1

Reaction score
You are right about the recirculating pump. That and and the manufacturer recommended to stir the top 1/3 of the grain pipe. You can also lift it up a few times.

kevin58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly! There is already a thread for Anvil Foundry owners which is inclusive of all things 6.5 so a lot of us are scratching out heads wondering why this one was necessary. This thread is just scattering information unnecessarily.

I would advise any 6.5 owners to visit the ANVIL FOUNDRY ALL-GRAIN BREWING SYSTEM thread since all your questions will have a greater chance of being answered, if not already answered over there.

OP
OP
Martys1

Martys1

Reaction score
Sometimes it’s not about about questions being answered but exploring recipes, tricks ,brew tips and general information about the AF6.5

jdauria

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have the 10.5, but considering buying a 6.5 also for small batches and to use as my main system when I downgrade to 3 gallon batches in the near future. Age and a bad back means lugging 5 gallon carboys is becoming an issue. Anyway, question ,does the current version of the 6.5 come with the new Blichmann style bottom in the malt pipe?

OP
OP
Martys1

Martys1

Reaction score
image.jpg

image.jpg

Sorry, I am not familiar with the Blichmann style bottom,here are photos with a tape measure so you can see the spacing of the rows.Recirculating the wort through the grain pipe makes for clear wort.

kevin58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
No need to buy a whole new system. The 10.5 works very well with small batches. If your 10.5 has the newer basket with the Blichmann style false bottom it will work great. If not and you have the old style then the small batch adapter is your buddy.

jdauria

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
No need to buy a whole new system. The 10.5 works very well with small batches. If your 10.5 has the newer basket with the Blichmann style false bottom it will work great. If not and you have the old style then the small batch adapter is your buddy.

Yeah I have used the small batch adapter to make some 2.5 gallon batches. One thing I don't like when doing that thought is that the 10.5 volume markings start at 5, so no way for volume measurements on small batches, unless I make measuring stick.

renstyle

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here are some Anvil 6.5 specific tips I have used:

I do MIAB with a 5 gallon round cooler, can make any 19L batch up to 1.080 without top-off post-boil. If you make a smaller batch, barleywines are within your grasp!

The cooler has very minimal hardware, and with my version of the AF 6.5 grain basket, I find the lets allow it to fit PERFECTLY atop my cooler to make sparging very simple.

20220509_191400.jpg 20220509_191408.jpg 20220509_191520.jpg

Then, get a 23L corny keg to ferment in. Fill to the weld line, mine is 21L, which results in 19+L of finished beer to transfer into a regular-sized corny keg.

20220509_191555.jpg

renstyle

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes it’s not about about questions being answered but exploring recipes, tricks ,brew tips and general information about the AF6.5

Yes. My tips/tricks are irrelevant to a 10.5 model, the malt pipe alone will handle most grain+full-immersion combos for a Corny/19L/~5gal batch.

Another I learned by accident: If for whatever reason you need to do a fermenter top-off to meet your volume, Brewfather (and likely most other brewing tools) split out the "post-boil" and "OG" to account for the top off. Discovered this on the first few extract batches.

Armed with this information I have held back a 2L bottle of RO water stashed in the freezer during the brew day to enable:

1. faster cooling - dump the 2L 10C-ish degree water at flameout for a quick chill, as you are starting your chiller (twice during summer)
2. to cover any excess boil-off (I run at 240V, 75%) to make my 21L fermenter volume (only once)

Why consider this? Because each grain bill is different, but the AF 6.5 has (realistic) 23L max wort in the kettle. Sometimes you want a more vigorous boil, so max volume would be slightly less. Your two options are to either make a smaller batch, or get creative ;)

I am certain many folks have read my 6.5 + cooler posts over the months and wondered why I try so hard with a smaller kettle. The 2.5 and 3 gallon batches, with or without MIAB, are fairly pedestrian on the 6.5, as that's what it is made for.

It only gets interesting when you attempt to push the envelope! :D

Last edited:

Adam Zerwick

Reaction score
Here is my current AF 6.5 setup which I'm really enjoying:

- EZ clean bulkhead w/ push in diptube
- Blichmann linear flow valve
- Anvil TC adapter for the lid
- TC BLQD to FNPT adapter
- Locline for mash recirculation
- Brew bag 400um
- Trubtrapper
- Spincycle overboard for whirlpool

With this setup I consistently get about 75% mash efficiency up to 1.065 OG without a sparge. Crush size is about .028" and conditioning the malt. Target 3.25 gallons into fermenter.

I'd planned on replacing the bulkhead with the EZ clean bulkhead so I could use a Hopstopper 2.0. The EZ clean bulkhead doesn't fit through the hole in the kettle but a step bit makes quick work of that. With the updated bulkhead I decided to go with the linear flow valve for ease of cleaning/disassembly. For now I've started using the Trubtrapper in place of the Hopstopper since it's so much easier but I might eventually go back to using the Hopstopper.

Attachments

• PXL_20220507_182158852.jpg
    PXL_20220507_182158852.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220507_182213004.jpg
    PXL_20220507_182213004.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220507_231259240.jpg
    PXL_20220507_231259240.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

renstyle

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anybody with a 6.5 AF currently use one of the chillers made specifically for the All-In-One systems?

The first two on my radar is the JaDeD Scylla & Cu S.S. AIO-Tri-Coil and I am sure there are others.

Currently, since I already have a round cooler, I fill it with pre-made ice+water and the stock SS IC coil, then feed that output to a simple $40 25' copper chiller in my kettle. It works with the hardware I have on hand, but a single coil in the kettle would be ideal.

I wasn't sure if these chillers were of a standard height to accommodate both the 10+ gal units as well as the smaller (shorter) units as they have the same diameter?

Was also curious as to the displacement factor?

OP
OP
Martys1

Martys1

Reaction score
39C2BDAA-4724-42A9-AB02-101803C17394.jpeg
78E04E82-190C-4017-A40B-16BDAFDA0350.jpeg

Brewed another 5.5 gal batch.I adjusted my grain mill to .040,previous.038,036.the wort flows nicely through the grain pipe.And the wort is lower than in the the sides of grain pipe so it was recirculating the mash properly.Not so at .036-.038

dlm3

Reaction score
I have the 10.5, but considering buying a 6.5 also for small batches and to use as my main system when I downgrade to 3 gallon batches in the near future. Age and a bad back means lugging 5 gallon carboys is becoming an issue. Anyway, question ,does the current version of the 6.5 come with the new Blichmann style bottom in the malt pipe?
Does the 10.5 have the same diameter and same amount of dead space in the bottom below the basket, compared to the 6.5? Looking at photos it appears that the 10.5 is just taller. I'm considering the 10.5, but other than it just being deeper, would brewing smaller batches on the 10.5 be any more difficult or different than on a 6.5?

jdauria

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does the 10.5 have the same diameter and same amount of dead space in the bottom below the basket, compared to the 6.5? Looking at photos it appears that the 10.5 is just taller. I'm considering the 10.5, but other than it just being deeper, would brewing smaller batches on the 10.5 be any more difficult or different than on a 6.5?
Only real difference is when doing smaller batches in the 10.5, there are no volume markings below 5 gallons, which makes it a crapshoot knowing if you hit your volumes unless you make some type of dipstick to measure. Though I wonder if there is any difference in boil off rate too since of the larger headspace a small batch has in the 10.5?