Anvil Foundry 1st brew day. Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiddoBrasserie

Brasserie de Laurier
Reaction score
I just got my hands on an Anvil Foundry 10.5 and decided to take it on its maiden voyage with a simple saison. The brewday started off easy, mashed in and after 10 minutes of continuous recirculating, I checked the Ph, 5.29. Finished the mash, sparged at 170f and boiled for 60 minutes. After cooling I checked the gravity and was way under what was expected (was shooting for 1.048, OG was 1.037). I’m wondering if I recirculated too quickly, or if the grain bed wasn’t draining properly. I’ve read rice hulls could help. Also my LHBS milled my grain on a Thursday and I brewed on a Saturday. Not sure if that had anything to do with the efficiency, or maybe I need to specify that it’s BIAB? I also have the small batch adapter ring so I’m wicked puzzled.

Here’s the recipe; (3 gallon recipe until I upgrade my carboy)

6# Belgian Pilsner
.5# Flaked Wheat

1L WY3711 (It was an old slap pack, and ran it through the Brewfather calculator)

4g Gypsum
2.5g Calcium Chloride
1g Bicarbonate
1g Epsom
3ml Lactic acid

Mashed Schedule:
131F then immediately raised
148F 60 minutes
152F 20 minutes
168F 10 minutes

11.5g Sterling (10.6 AAU) @60
1oz Brewers Gold (8.9 AAU) @5

Anyhow, still think the Foundry is awesome, saved me some time. Thanks for any help!

I don't have the foundry, but on my mash and boil grain crush and mash thickness make a huge difference in efficiency. I always double mill my grain and I use 1.6 qt/# for my water to grain ratio. My first batch was way under the expected numbers, but once I tweaked my process and adjusted to the new system everything fell into place and now I've been getting 80 - 85% efficiency on all my recent batches. Keep playing with it and you'll get it dialed in.

Cheers!

Back