Anvil Boil Kettle Screen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1k3

Reaction score
I got an email today showing a Kettle Screen from Anvil.

http://www.anvilbrewing.com/product-p/anv-kettle-strainer.htm

I have heard from folks that SS Braid does not work well in a kettle. Denny Conn was one of them.

My biggest fear is jamming it up at the bottom of 15 gallons of boiling wort. I often recirculate through the pump and plate chiller which only makes things worse.

I would continue to only use pellet hops putting them in my 300 micron SS hop spider... But this would be great if it kept the trub out of the fermenter (I know it probably doesn't hurt).

Anyway, what do you guys think? I wouldn't consider it but Blichmann/Palmer are names I'd trust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, people actually purchased based on this marketing gimmick? Ha this reminds me of the new Lebron James (net worth $300mil) commercial showing him driving a Kia. This is a boil screen that they have marked up about 4.5 times. Branding at it's finest!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064OFCHW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I'd be inclined to agree with you, but it does not look like a bazooka screen, but instead a toilet supply line sleeve hacked up. A little bit finer mesh. I've never tried it myself, but the idea intrigues me.

I have used a bazooka screen in my kettle and it did not work with my equipment so I'm not sure this would work either but I'd be interested to hear the experiences with those who do try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I under stand it takes money to R&D and then have these things built. But, come on 45 bucks (plus shipping) for a glorified bazooka screen. No thanks...I'll stick with my $3.50 dollar DIY hop screen.

I under stand it takes money to R&D and then have these things built. But, come on 45 bucks (plus shipping) for a glorified bazooka screen. No thanks...I'll stick with my $3.50 dollar DIY hop screen.

My 300 micron SS hop spider pictured above was $80... so, I guess I'm willing to throw some money at keeping the hops/trub out of my pump/plate chiller/fermenters.

I guess another option for filtration would be a Hop Rocket... not trying to plug more Blichmann gear, I swear. But I hate keeping whole hops in the freezer... they take up so much more space than pellets.

Id rather drop the $$ on Norcals 3 stage filter. Those screens can stretch and limit perfusion (from experience) so you always need to compress them to make sure max perfusion. It could be made for a fraction of the price. Honestly, a false bottom from XYZ with a diptube would work just fine.

just installed yesterday with their diptube. install went easy..note came in the box to do a really good whirlpool which makes sense but im going to try it in a couple days and will post video on my youtube channel. search for xjames14x

Hi James, used the kettle strainer yet? I've tried all sorts of things to reduce trub in the fermenter, but nothing I'm happy with. I'm not scared of trub, just hate when it settles higher than my spigots after cold crashing, and I have to bust out the ol' siphon tubes...

Yes I used it in my boil kettle, worked ok for the whirlpool but not great, but transfering into the carboys went great.....you can't use this for a fermenter, boil kettle and I assume mash tun but I believe it's just for boil kettle....and you always going to have trub

Hi James, used the kettle strainer yet? I've tried all sorts of things to reduce trub in the fermenter, but nothing I'm happy with. I'm not scared of trub, just hate when it settles higher than my spigots after cold crashing, and I have to bust out the ol' siphon tubes...

I get what your saying....yeah it worked good ill let you know how it goes after I transfer to kegs

Yes I used it in my boil kettle, worked ok for the whirlpool but not great, but transfering into the carboys went great.....you can't use this for a fermenter, boil kettle and I assume mash tun but I believe it's just for boil kettle....and you always going to have trub

Thanks, James, and happy 4th! Glad to hear it went well... Did it look like less material made it into the fermenter then if you would have just used nothing or a regular circular mesh strainer?

Good luck with your fermentation!

Yea I would say I had less crap in the bottom, transferred today to secondary

I know this is an old post, but did you ever post your video? I've been looking for a video review of one of these without success. Also if you liked it, do you recirculate with a pump through a chiller before hitting your fermenter?

Back