Antique bench capper denting bottles, sticking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordan

Reaction score
Hey all,

I bought a (very, very old) bench capper at the flea market this weekend for $20. I knew I was taking a chance, but I was pretty excited, so it came home with me.

Now that I'm trying it, I'm having two issues: one, bottles are sticking inside of it once capped; I found a thread with this issue, and found most people are just gentle pulling the bottles out. However, it's also leaving a nasty dent on one side of each cap, from where the bell is welded on. In an old thread from 2009, there were some vague references to "gaskets" and "stoppers" being worn out -- but mine doesn't look like it has anything. Should a bench capper have a rubber grommet/pad/etc on the inside of the bell to prevent sticking and marking?

I have 2 antique bench cappers. I have to admit I don't understand and can't picture what you mean by denting. But Mine almost always wind up with the bottle stuck in them. I usually just twist gently and it comes right out!

Don't pull straight down. Just pull the bottom of the bottle towards you and it should come right out.

I have 2 antique bench cappers. I have to admit I don't understand and can't picture what you mean by denting. But Mine almost always wind up with the bottle stuck in them. I usually just twist gently and it comes right out!

It quite literally dents the top of the cap. Inside the bell, there is the circular middle section where the bell was welded to the stalk; the "back" side of this weld/connection leaves a nasty mark on the section of the cap it comes in contact with, almost as if you'd taken a flat-headed screwdriver and stabbed the cap.

It makes sense to me that bench cappers might have a rubber gasket/pad inside the bell; another HBT thread has a user saying he added garden hose gaskets with glue inside of his. I was wondering if there was a specific thickness, type, etc of gasket or pad I should be looking at.

It quite literally dents the top of the cap. Inside the bell, there is the circular middle section where the bell was welded to the stalk; the "back" side of this weld/connection leaves a nasty mark on the section of the cap it comes in contact with, almost as if you'd taken a flat-headed screwdriver and stabbed the cap.

It makes sense to me that bench cappers might have a rubber gasket/pad inside the bell; another HBT thread has a user saying he added garden hose gaskets with glue inside of his. I was wondering if there was a specific thickness, type, etc of gasket or pad I should be looking at.

Ah, got it! I will check mine when I get home and see what it has to offer. I don't ever remember a rubber grommet on mine and they don't dent (that I have noticed). But if it did, I would start by looking at the Grolsch bottle gaskets or like you said, a garden hose gasket.

My capper from the 60's makes a circular indentation in the top.. like as if you took a 1/4" flat punch to it. No effect on sealing.. just don't look purdy. When I go to ID this summer, I may take the plunger and have my son make me a washer that'll fit in there and try that on for size.. but, otherwise.. no issue other than esthetics.

Just saw this thread and I'm having the same issue so I was wondering if the original poster ever solved the problem.

My worry is that the capper has worn out and expanded from years of use so that now the middle is pressing down on the bottle cap and leaving a dent. Would this have a bad effect on the beer for some reason? I have owned the capper for a long time and I think the depression has gotten deeper over the years.

There should be a rubber gasket in the bell on most of these cappers. Like this one:

capper.jpg

I have a wing capper i bought used, steel, "brev" brand, made in italy, that puts a neat circular dent in every cap. It is probably missing a gasket like these.

Thing is, I just noticed that the sixer of my boring pale ale that i started conditioning a month ago, some of those bottles, the dent is popped back out . . .

There should be a rubber gasket in the bell on most of these cappers. Like this one:

Thanks for that. I don't remember a washer.. but, I'll bet it was there... at one time. The other thing missing on mine is the piece of linoleum or tile "coaster" at the bottom so the bottle doesn't come in contact with the cast iron base.

Thanks for that. I don't remember a washer.. but, I'll bet it was there... at one time. The other thing missing on mine is the piece of linoleum or tile "coaster" at the bottom so the bottle doesn't come in contact with the cast iron base.

Mine never did have a washer in the bell, bought it new in the mid 1970's and have been using it ever since. The original linoleum coaster has worn through and been replaced many times.

Putting anything in the bell might reduce the crimp on the cap, but it's worth a try if the mark on the cap bothers you.

Check to see that the base plate is square with the upright. Mine has been bent open slightly over the years, and dents the tops. I ignore it.

I know my wing capper didn't originally come with a washer. I had been living with the dented caps until I read this thread. I used some of the "make a gasket" rubber sheets that you can get at Lowes in the plumbing department to make a gasket and it has worked perfectly. Just bottled a full batch with nary a dent.

Back