Anticipating a stuck sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerrodm

Reaction score
OK so I'm all set to brew a weizendoppelbock tonight, but just realized that I didn't get any rice hulls at the LHBS when I was there earlier this week, and I don't have any at home. So, here's the question: do I go after work today, which probably means either putting off brewing until tomorrow (grrr...) or do I just chance it? I've never stuck a sparge before, but when I brew wheats I've always used rice hulls to prevent it. The grainbill is as follows:

8 lb. Wheat
2.5 lb. Munich
2.5 lb. Vienna
2 lb Pilsen
4 oz. Chocolate

I'd hate to put off brewing, since my starter is all charged up and ready to go (and so am I), but I'm a little afraid of sticking the sparge...what should I do?
I'll be sure to update on how it turns out either way.

I don't know what system you use but for my cooler mash tun I use a bazooka screen and never use rice hulls for any brew so far other than my Pumpkin Ale. Done plenty of wheats and Weizenbocks and never a stuck sparge. If you're using a bazooka screen or braid I think you should be fine. Can't give an opinion on a false bottom since I only had one for one batch before I returned it and went with the bazooka screen - was a bit warped and grain easily got under.

Rev.

Using a bazooka--as I said, I've never stuck one either yet, fingers crossed...as long as I sparge really slowly (I usually take more than 30 min. to fly sparge anyway), I think I should be OK?

Slow/stuck sparges happen sometimes. I can recommend doing multiple batch sparges to prevent slow/stuck runoff. Generally things get bad the longer the grain bed is compacted and pulled to the bottom. I had this issue yesterday and had to stop, stir, vorlauf, and run off in order to get the last gallon or so of wort. I do a single batch sparge with a lot of water though and have been thinking of some changes to my process to fix this issue. I use a braid loop.

The grain bed seems to compact to the bottom and the liquid can't find it's way down through the cement-like grist. My braid could be getting crushed under there, so I might try the copper wire/spring insert and see how that works.

Yeah I batch sparge as well, I do two sparges. Maybe if you're worried try batch sparging for this one? But I think you should probably be alright. I crush my grains pretty fine and as mentioned with my bazooka screen haven't yet had a stuck sparge with any of my wheats. And being wheat beers are my top favorite I have made very many of them.

Rev.

Yeah I batch sparge as well, I do two sparges. Maybe if you're worried try batch sparging for this one? But I think you should probably be alright. I crush my grains pretty fine and as mentioned with my bazooka screen haven't yet had a stuck sparge with any of my wheats. And being wheat beers are my top favorite I have made very many of them.

Rev.

Thanks for the idea, I was actually thinking the same as well. I'm going to go for it, will let you all know (with an anguished post) if it sticks!

Sparge didn't stick, so I'm glad I didn't put off brewing...I made sure to sparge really slowly, which I think helped. Only problem was that I somehow lost the 4 oz. of chocolate malt (maybe I left it at the LHBS?), so I ended up brewing a much lighter beer than I was planning...I still think it's going to turn out terrific though.

Back