Anova Sous Vide BIAB 3 gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebanyai

Reaction score
The new Anova immersion circulating heater is an awesome tool for a BIAG homebrewer. I have no relationship with the company and admittedly am a newbie to its use, although I have been homebrewing for more then 10 years. I have been able to do a 3 gallon all grain batch in 3 hours from the time I put the water in the pot to the time I pitched the yeast in a 5 gallon bucket. The heater is a thousand watts, the circulating fan pushes the water around just fine, the solid state control will keep a specific temp for an infinite amount of time or a set amount of time as set on the control screen. So you can dial in one batch at 158 and the next one at 152 or start at a protein rest of 122 for 30 min and then go to 153 or whatever number you like. My conversion rate has always been in the 80 % range. To be sure, there are things I do to make it work well but they are mostly self evident and there are caveats that I will lay out up front. It is designed for about 4 gallons of water to do Sous Vide, a food cooking method worth checking out in its own way, makes the unit more of a multitasker. The cost of the unit is a bit more than two hundred bucks delivered. I have gone to doing 3 gallon batches even before I started using the unit, partly because I find it fun to make many different brews and partly because I can't drink or give away all that I make. It could be used to make five gallons but it would be more of a chore then benefit in my opinion. it is not a tool for the boil and I use it in a 5 gallon pot on the top of my stove in my kitchen and do cheat a bit by using the gas flame to assist the rise to 122 and then again to 158, not because the unit won't do it but just to do it faster. It can be helpful to use a small flame to help hold the temp with the heater doing the last bit of control once you are at target temp. You can actually walk away for the hour and go watch TV or whatever and it will stay at that temp. The heater alone works fine but used alone you can get a small amount of caramelization on the hot element which is fine for scotch ale or porter but maybe not for a very light wheat beer. I start with three gallons of water at a mark on the side of my pot, add the grain in a couple of bags, do the hour at a specific 1 degree temp and then put the bags in a strainer. I then pour a quart of water over them at a time and add that back to the pot untill I get to the 3 gallon mark. That is then your OG, and then I add about a half gallon for the boil in my house which is back to the mark at the end of the boil. I believe that you could get to your OG in half an hour with the unit at a few percent less conversion but generally use the standard hour. This could change as I become used to this way of doing things. It is hard to have folks change the way they do things and I put this out as just my way of doing homebrew. The rock solid reproducible temp profile and potential time advantage are the reasons I have chosen to do it this way. I suspect that with experience you could get it down to making a 3 gal allgrain in two hours from the time you start to the time you pitch the yeast.
PS subsequent read of the website says that it will handle 5-6 gallons of water at a time.

Interesting! I've considered using something like the Anova for holding mash temperature (or perhaps the similar Sansaire, which claims it can handle 6 gallons), but I thought having the heating element in wort would be a no-go. Are you not having a problem with burnt-on sugars on the element?

Does the heater go inside the bag or does it just heat the water and wort?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Does the manufacturer say you can use it in a liquid other than water?

The heater goes on the side of the pot and the grains stay in the bag. By keeping the grain in the bag there is no clogging of the flow the unit creates. There was a small amount of buildup on the element the first time which scrubbed off easily. The unit comes apart to clean. Subsequently I minimised this by adding a small flame under the pot such that the element did not come on so much. I saw now that the specs say that it is for 5-6 gallons. I have no relationship to the manufacturer, whether it heats water or wort is of little consequence. The Sansaire has just come out, very similar, both are part of the lower cost Sous Vide movement, previous units were almost a thousand bucks to do the same thing. There is no substantial difference between a water bath and wort. You would not want to try to push more solid food arround, but clear wort works fine.

So do you think it would clog pretty quickly if it was inside the bag even with the fine crush of BIAB? I have a 400 micron s/s basket that sits inside my 8 gal kettle that I use for my mashing and it would be nice to have something like this for maintaining mash temps.

Could this thing bring 4-5 gal to a boil? I have a 1800w induction cooker I have used but it's not quite strong enough to maintain a boil without the kettle lid partially on. Maybe I could use them in tandem somehow.

Can you turn off the circulation pump or is it always on? Maybe I could use it as a heat stick that has a built in timer and thermometer?

No I do not believe it would be a good idea to have it in the bag, the microfines that leak out of the bag are no problem but regular mash would not work. You may want to reconsider the idea of a single bag. Even with small batch I use a couple of bags, lift them up and down a couple of times during the hour things are OK. I did use a more complicated set up before the Anova, consisted of a Ronco Controller, Finex heating element(you can get them up to 800 watts and the Ronco will do 1500 if I remember right) from my tropical fish set up and a small 12 dollar maxi pump also from fish world in the wort.. All of this pre boil. The Anova will not boil and is not designed to be in boiling water. I experimented using this both inside the wort and outside in a second pot, kinda like a water jacket. For a 3 gallon batch the Anova is really swell, the specs say it will do 5-6 gal. For more then 3 gal you really want to use outside heat to get to 155, cause it will be a while getting there using the 1000 watt Anova.

Good feedback on small batch BIAB.

How does it work for sous vide? I can do sous vide in my outdoor 220v electric brewing setup but this would be very convenient.

Well , that is what it is made for and as far as I can tell, it is awesome. As in many things in life the machine works far above the capability of the human operator, just getting the hang of the food thing.

the link for specs is here
http://anovaculinary.com/pages/specs

as well as pictures, they say it is 2.75 inches wide, total height 15.5 inches, max width of the pot to hang is 1.25 inches

again, I am not in any way related to the company, just wanted to bring to the group attention a multitasking machine that can be used in homebrew

How strong is the impeller? I wonder if you could remove that lower cap, stick it in a thin mash and if it would move it around without burning the motor up?

I do not believe this machine will work well if at all inside a bag of mash. I do 3 gallons in a 5 gallon pot, use a couple of smaller bags, let the water circulate out side them, lift them up and down a bit to get some agitation but don't really drain them, a few times during the hour and get 80%. For what you are talking about a wort recirculating system would be more appropriate. The machine is what it is and trying to make it what it is not beyond recirculating and heating clear water or clear wort is not recommended by me. It does come apart and the small impeller would no doubt spin but outside the case I don't know how much liquid it would move. So the answer is perhaps it might work, I doubt it would get clogged, I have not done it and I have no experience to know if it would work to do what you want.

Thanks for the info, sounds like a pretty cool unit. I could do the same as you and just place a grain bag inside my basket and let the Anova circulate the wort around it.

Can the impeller be turned on and off separately from the heating coil or do they both run in tandem?

impeller runs all the time, if you don't want to use the heater, you just set it for 5-10 degrees less then current temp and it won't come on, you dial in what temp you want it to stay, once there or if wort over that temp, it won't come on.

One more question. How many inches up from the bottom is that low water mark? I'm trying to see if it will work in my 8 gal mega pot, it's pretty wide so I don't know if it will sit low enough to have that coil fully submerged with 4-5 gal of water.

I don't have the unit in front of me but if you go to the web site you can see how this might be a problem, they may show the stats as to how close to the top of the pot the water has to be.

Interesting post. I'm very intrigued by this and started looking around. I found this comparison article which gives a lot of useful information. I think the biggest concern for me would be the limited range of depths.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/sous-vide-circulator-review-sansaire-nomiku-anova.html

20131128-nomiku-anova-sansaire-three-way-5.jpg

It looks like liquid cant be higher than 1" from the top of the pot and can't be lower than 4.75" from the top. If you are brewing in a pot pretty close to your mash volume, then this looks like it would work. If you're pot is much bigger you may have issues.

It seems like a short wide pot would be better for this, but then I would expect you would get some huge boiloff volumes as well.

What do you use for your small bags? Some people seem to be fairly particular about the design of the bag as to achieve the best conversion. Have you had much luck with this? I have an Anova for Sous Vide and would like to try out a small batch BIAB using it.

Just bumping this thread as I did a Sous Vide Cooker 2.25 Gal BIAB this past weekend. I woke up and started the cooker and was able to walk away and know my strike temp was held for as long as I needed. I just had a child, so i could spend some time with her while its heating. I don't have to stand over it and watch the temp.

After mash in, it did pretty well. The bag kept wanting to get caught in the propeller. I put a slotted spoon in front of it to keep it from sucking in the bag. I recently purchased a SS silverware holder (in link) to completely surround the element. Get a cheap lid, or pizza pan, and cut a slot to go around the sous vide cooker to hold mash temps better. Tin foil works well also.
stainless-steel-flatware-cylinder.jpg

It has a timer, so next time I will set it to where its ready when I wake up. It also has a bluetooth function to where I can turn it on remotely. I believable the wifi version comes out next year and you can start it while away from the house.

Picked it up for $139 during the amazon sale.

BTW, that thing cooks some tasty ass ribeyes. Cook em to 135 degrees, then sear it on a red hot skillet for a few seconds.

I'm thinking of buying this thing. Would there be significant advantage to somehow mount the device so that it is placed in the middle of the grain bag, concentric with respect to the pot, and dress it with a "sock" (with the same cloth as the bag) to avoid getting grains on the impeller?

Back