Another yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
My experience so far has been with Wyeast smack packs, but I may be switching to a supplier that only carries White labs.

When making a starter with a White LAbs vial, is it necessary to add some yeast nutrients (which I understand are already in the Wyeast smack packs), or can you just bring the vial to room temp and pitch it in the starter as is?

Thanks.

You don't need yeast nutrients in the starter...the starter itself has everything the yeast need to start growing.

As El P said, the malt extract of the starter will have nutrients for the yeast. But some people (like me) add some diamonuim phosphate (might be spelled wrong) or vitamin based nutrients to the starter.

Kai

Well...techically, you can do it both ways...either with or without. But... myself, I choose to use yeast nutrients as they are a vital part of yeast growth. And basically, yeast starters are basically for one single reason, to multiply the yeast count, ensuring the best fermentation available, and to reduce lag time. Yeast needs help to grow, and not from just sugars. For best growth, yeast needs nitrogen, fatty acids and amino acids. DME is not a good source of these, and many times is a week mixture of actual extract, and added refined sugars. Your basic yeast nutrient contains needed trace vitamins, diammonium phosphates and other ingredients which will help fill your yeast needs to multiply as fast and throrough as possible.

Tony said:
Well...techically, you can do it both ways...either with or without. But... myself, I choose to use yeast nutrients as they are a vital part of yeast growth. And basically, yeast starters are basically for one single reason, to multiply the yeast count, ensuring the best fermentation available, and to reduce lag time. Yeast needs help to grow, and not from just sugars. For best growth, yeast needs nitrogen, fatty acids and amino acids. DME is not a good source of these, and many times is a week mixture of actual extract, and added refined sugars. Your basic yeast nutrient contains needed trace vitamins, diammonium phosphates and other ingredients which will help fill your yeast needs to multiply as fast and throrough as possible.

Very well explained and I totally agree. This is something I also do. With a name like Tony how can you be wrong? Cheers,Tony.
icon6.gif

I also agree with Tony and Boo Boo. I like the idea that everything is there including the trace elements.

With a name like Boo Boo we need a Tony.:D

Back