Another yeast starter question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhoz

Reaction score
For 5 gallon batches I have been having great success with a starter recipe of 4 cups H2O, 1 cup ELDME, and one White Labs vial. I am thinking of trying out a 10 gallon batch on my next brew. My starter flask won't hold 8 cups of water. Is there any reason I can't make a starter as normal, decant the fermented wort, and add an additional 4 cups of fresh chilled wort?

The amount of yeast you will grow is dependent on the volume of the vessel, since yeast will not grow beyond a certain concentration. If you aren't using O2 or a stir plate it's possible that O2 is your limiting factor rather than volume, in which case you will end up with more yeast by decanting and feeding it again, but if you have enough O2 I doubt re-feeding will grow more yeast.

I've used apple juice bottles and growlers for starters in the past before I upgraded to flasks and a stir plate.

Back