Another Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DutchK9

Reaction score
I am in the process of making my first batch of liquid yeast. I started a batch of American Ale Wyeast Propagator 1056 smack pack two days ago in a 100mL flask. I put it on my homebrew yeast spinner (thanks to all for the tips), and it was bubbling away like crazy from the start. After 8 hours it was seeping out of the airlock a little bit but was looking good. The next day all the foam settled down and it has been foam free since. I haven't seen anymore airlock activity and was wondering if this is normal, or if something went wrong. I was planning on brewing the wort tomorrow (Sunday 6/29), and don't want to start a batch with bad yeast. When I made the yeast starter, I put a half cup light DME in 400mL water. I then added the yeast and the food smack pack.

This is normal. The yeast have munched on all available fermentable sugars and are just hanging out at the bottom waiting for you to dump them into your next batch.

Take it off the stir plate if you haven't already and put it into the fridge. Let the starter clear up a bit. This will make it easier to decant the wort without disturbing the yeast at the bottom right before pitching. Make sure you let the starter warm back to pitching temp before pitching.

Nice work on your first starter!

Great! Thanks so much for the quick response!!!
This site is taught me so much I can't even begin to thank everyone.

Also when you say decant, are you saying I should dump the liquid above the settled yeast? I thought I was supposed to dump the whole thing in the wort.

Yes, you don't want that wort in your beer, only because it's pretty bland and could mess with the desired flavor of your beer.

For decanting...I'm really picky about not disturbing the yeast on the bottom, so I usually siphon the wort out of my 1000ml flask with some 1/8" in tubing. You're fine just dumping as much as possible off before pitching.

All the answers you need are above. Glad to be of help :drunk:

EDIT: Oh yeah, see the airlock advice below.

FURTHER EDIT: This is simply a public response to a PM.

Just a quick piece of advice---your "yeast spinner", AKA stirplate, serves to continually introduce oxygen into your beer by keeping that whirlpool going. However, I noticed that you mentioned putting an airlock on your flask. An airlock lets co2 out but does not allow any oxygen in...thus cutting down greatly on the effectiveness of the stirplate. In the future, put some aluminum foil semi-loosely over the top of the flask. This will allow oxygen to be pulled in.

Just a quick piece of advice---your "yeast spinner", AKA stirplate, serves to continually introduce oxygen into your beer by keeping that whirlpool going. However, I noticed that you mentioned putting an airlock on your flask. An airlock lets co2 out but does not allow any oxygen in...thus cutting down greatly on the effectiveness of the stirplate. In the future, put some aluminum foil semi-loosely over the top of the flask. This will allow oxygen to be pulled in.
Agreed, you don't want an airlock. Let it spin for a good 18 hours. Read this article >> http://maltosefalcons.com/tech/MB_Raines_Guide_to_Yeast_Culturing.php

Okay. I put it on because it came with the kit but will try the foil on the next batch. Thanks.

And thanks for responding Yuri. I asked you because you seem to know what is going on.

Back