Another type of Beer, Part 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trodd

Reaction score
So...I made some root beer this Sunday. It is supposed to carbonate for 2 days. My batch yielded 6 Grolsch bottles. Today i was supposed to burp them to check carbonation. There was a krausen layer on the bottle. I ignored it, and burped it. I was on the phone with my girlfriend, as i was doing it. 1st bottle...POP! It sprayed a neck worth of root beer all over me, my walls, cabinets, and everything else in my kitchen. I guess its done. It smells yeasty, I'm hoping it tastes good.

Lesson.....even if the recipe says check after 2 days....I'm checking after 24 hours next time.

I'm off the the shower to rinse the root beer from my hair.

I made ginger ale for the first time recently. I say, use plastic bottles for at least a few of them; you can squeeze them to check the carbonation.

Ours has been sitting for a week.
SWMBO popped the first one tonight and it exploded on her. And her plate of hot dogs and buns. And the carpet. And the couch. etc etc

Downfall? It tastes horribly.
HORRIBLE.
Its like flat root water.

I don't know wtf I did wrong.
Its obviously carbonated by the explosion, but there just seems to be some missing flavoring..

capcrnch said:
Ours has been sitting for a week.
SWMBO popped the first one tonight and it exploded on her. And her plate of hot dogs and buns. And the carpet. And the couch. etc etc

Downfall? It tastes horribly.
HORRIBLE.
Its like flat root water.

I don't know wtf I did wrong.
Its obviously carbonated by the explosion, but there just seems to be some missing flavoring..

Found my problem.
I asked my assistant brewer (SWMBO) where she put the leftover yeast.
Her reply?
"What leftover yeast? I used it all in the root beer"...

Ding ding.

There's my problem. She used an entire packet of yeast, which proceeded to eat the crap out of the sugar and gave it the no taste, no sugar, flat, taste.

Yeah, plastic bottles are the way to go with rootbeer, the shrapnel is less dangerous.

Out of curiosity, did you use sassafrass in your recipe? I wasn't able to find the real deal for my batch, though it still tasted pretty good.

How much is the correct amount of yeast?

Also, yes I found sassifrass in a health food store. The best bet is to look for a health food store or a tea shop.

Back