Another Stupid ITC-1000. I'm lost! And I'm desperate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK so here it is. I'm attempting the side by side kegerator/ferm chamber build. Now let me start by saying I've probably read every side by side thread I could find. I've researched weeks daily to understand this build inside and out. We'll a fridge fell into my lap and through almost all of my research out the window. I've paid particular attention to the wiring. So here it is. I have a Kenmore Coldspot 106.53632300. As I started taking it apart to begin the build I found that there is only one temperature control. That is for the fridge. And the freezer just controls a damper.
Here is my plan. I have 2 4" computer fans to pull the cold air from the freezer side. Does the second one wire up to the fridge thermostat control the freezer side temp? I'm really confused how this works. I do NOT want to interfere with the defrost circuit at all. I want it to function as normal. I suppose I could just run a Johnson controller to the fridge power line but I want the evap fan to operate like normal as well. Is this possible or am I asking too much? If that is the only answer for it then I want to switch the fridge main power from an ITC so I can have a temp display on the freezer door. I'll run the wiring from the controller and out the side if I have to. Is there anything special. I noticed the ITC's can only switch up to 10amps. The fridge is rated at 6amps so am I good?
Again I'd like to avoid all that and override a thermostat and let the fridge operate normal otherwise.
I attached a pictures to help. I've already contacted Kenmore about schematics and basically they told me to buzz off. Thanks for the help in advance! Cheers!

View attachment 1449638078410.jpg

View attachment 1449638093402.jpg

View attachment 1449638116353.jpg

View attachment 1449638134033.jpg

I think the thermostat controls the freezer temp\runs the compressor. The damper runs off the fridge thermostat sucking cold air from the freezer.

Todd

I agree the thermostat for the fridge probably just controls the freezer compressor and evap fan. The evap fan is on the freezer side pushes air through a channel that blows into the fridge. The freezer control know opens and closes a damper with a mechanical linkage arm.
I'm thinking if I just tap the fridge side thermostat with the ITC and the fridge side fans it will work as I want it to.

I went with 2 controllers. Honestly, it's been so long I kind of forget all I did :-(. But, 1 controls the (overrides) the freezer temp. The other one definitely controls 1 PC fan cut\mounted on the wall between the 2 sides. It might also run the flapper between them as normal.

Works well, but I get some freezing in the summer months. I must have messed up something with the defrost cycle. Have to go back and look at it.

Todd

Back