Another stupid BS question, Last Ver that works on Win XP 32 bit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kartracer2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I hate to be a pain butt the BeerSmith site is worthless as to trying to find the last version that works on Win XP, I have trial Ver.2.2.13. (not yet purchased pending having the latest I can use). It talks about ver 2.3 but doesn't say if it is 32 bit XP compatible. Do I have to buy 2.2.13 then upgrade to 2.3 if it is? Yes, I tried to find info on the BS2 forums but didn't see anything about my question. I have DL'd Ver. 2.3.13 but haven't tried to install it until I have more info. @Oginme ? can you help this dumb ass? (again?)

Thanks, :bott: :cask:

Joel B.

What are the Minimum System Requirements?
  • PC/Windows: you need Windows 7 or later (Windows 8, Windows 10). A wide screen (1200 pixels wide or higher) is recommended but not required

The way Brad has always operated with BeerSmith since the beginning is that if you buy BS2, any updates in the BS2 series are free. Mostly because they were bug fixes, but often there were additional features added. There is no more support being offered for the BS2 series since he has moved to BS3 and is working on an update of that right now.

If you find that the 2.x version you are running right now is working OK, then you can always try to install the update in that series and try it. Back up your old version first so that if it does not work, you can always delete and replace it with your back up copy.

Thanks Oginme, Yeah, Ver.2.2.13 seems to be working as it should. Going to buy that edition probably today and once that is in place I'll try to upgrade per your instructions. I knew that BS3 is Win7+ and not something I can use but was just wondering about the 2.3 ver being still good for XP (32 bit). Someday I know that I'll have to upgrade my hardware to handle Win 7+ but what I have is still working for my needs at this point.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and time. (again)

Joel B. :mug:

I hate to be a pain butt the BeerSmith site is worthless as to trying to find the last version that works on Win XP, I have trial Ver.2.2.13. (not yet purchased pending having the latest I can use). It talks about ver 2.3 but doesn't say if it is 32 bit XP compatible. Do I have to buy 2.2.13 then upgrade to 2.3 if it is? Yes, I tried to find info on the BS2 forums but didn't see anything about my question. I have DL'd Ver. 2.3.13 but haven't tried to install it until I have more info. @Oginme ? can you help this dumb ass? (again?)

Thanks, :bott: :cask:

Joel B.

I DO HOPE you are not using XP to get onto the internet. This is bad, very, very bad.

Ah.... must migrate off XP! Sooner rather than later.

Some may recommend Linux.

When I took a white hat (is this now politically correct?) hacking class the first thing we hacked was a Mac as the instructor said, "People foolish believe Macs can't be hacked."

Linux is simply unix. Unix is used in universities. Linux and unix are hacked, hacked, hacked.

Last edited:
@IslandLizard Thanks, as I said I using 2.3.12. I think it's the last "2" ver.
As far as XP I don't have enough horse power for Win7 or better. Always willing to acecpt donations though !! (LOL)
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.
Thx! I guess I should update one last time. Not expecting fireworks, either way.

I did run a 2 (or 3?) week trial with v3, but was not convinced. Yes, it predicts Whirlpool/Hopstand IBUs, but they weren't far off from an estimate I did myself. The interface (!) and brew step sheet, well... I'm sticking with v2. At least I'm used to what and where things show up.

@IslandLizard I'm not sure what the diff would be either. I'm a pretty basic extract brewer and I just got it more for keeping recipes and I like the brew log and timer. I've played with changing/ adding ingredients and some things with late add extract to see what changes and how. It can do more than what I ask of it so far.
Cheers,
Joel B.

Thx! I guess I should update one last time. Not expecting fireworks, either way.

I did run a 2 (or 3?) week trial with v3, but was not convinced. Yes, it predicts Whirlpool/Hopstand IBUs, but they weren't far off from an estimate I did myself. The interface (!) and brew step sheet, well... I'm sticking with v2. At least I'm used to what and where things show up.

IslandLizard we're not too far, cough, cough apart. I'd be glad to make a trip to Pasadena, MD to help.

Nope, getting on the 'net you are at risk with XP. Take your chances and deal with the results.
I hear ya. It truly gets minimal use.

If the fit hits the shan, I can re-image that Toshiba laptop within an hour from a USB stick. XP has a small footprint.
30GB hard drive, baby! But a screen to drool over...

My "workhorses" are Win7 4-core 3.4 GHz Phenom IIs with 16 GB of RAM. Been eying up the new Ryzen 7s and Threadrippers.

For those absolutly loving XP, get the free WMeare workstation. Setup an XP (you do still have your XP licence key, correct?) virtual machine. Salivate, get excited, etc, in the XP virtual PC, but don't use XP as your main PC.
That makes sense actually. As long as there's enough memory.

I think the main reason we run XP is due to old hardware, "obsolete" laptops, and specialty peripherals.
For example, I have a few XP desktop machines. One runs my (almost vintage) flatbed and drum scanner because there's no SCSI support in Win7.

Hmm... missed the 2 coughs... OK, then I don't volunteer to help. Get online with XP, get hacked and enjoy life.
Yeah, I must have missed those... But I truly appreciate your offer, knowing your preference to stay well away from the DC area, especially on Saturdays. Last buy I spent over an hour on New Hampshire to get onto the Capital Beltway. I had to p!ss like a racehorse from the samples we enjoyed so much, earlier.

Yeah, I must have missed those... But I truly appreciate your offer, knowing your preference to stay well away from the DC area, especially on Saturdays. Last buy I spent over an hour on New Hampshire to get onto the Capital Beltway. I had to p!ss like a racehorse from the samples we enjoyed so much, earlier.

I don't mind DC, except for the perpetual bums at Union Station (also including the [...] running the city). Traffic is the issue for me traveling to/from 3 Stars.

Last edited by a moderator:
That makes sense actually. As long as there's enough memory.

I think the main reason we run XP is due to old hardware, "obsolete" laptops, and specialty peripherals.
For example, I have a few XP desktop machines. One runs my (almost vintage) flatbed and drum scanner because there's no SCSI support in Win7.

XP will run. That's NOT the problem. The OS has been hacked. The version of IE has been hacked. AV doesn't work in XP, etc.

Running /any/ OS that doesn't get security updates is a terrible idea. It isn't about going to safe websites. Your machine has vulnerabilities that can be exploited transparently, without your knowledge, and automatically while it's up.

In the old days, you'd get a virus that's job was to cause hassle and annoy you. Maybe pop up ads. That's not what happens these days.

Most likely the hack will try it's best to be invisible and transparent. It will turn your machine into a zombie bot, doing dirty work for them. Maybe it's as simple as trying to mine bitcoins and all you lose is power. Maybe they use your machine to send spam emails, or to mount a hack attack on other machines, or to do something really illegal. Maybe it uses the compromised machine to access other machines on your network.

This isn't some kid somewhere targeting you. This is all automated, with other machines scanning and checking, and you can bet finding, vulnerable machines.

At the least your machine may run slow. At the worst, depending on your jurisdiction, you may be noted and monitored by authorities, and possibly get in trouble for being irresponsible.

If you can't afford a car good enough to go on the highway, you shouldn't drive on the highway. If you can't afford a machine safe to use on the internet, you shouldn't use it on the internet. Unplug it and use it standalone, or move to a free platform like Linux. As a long-term linux user, I'm the first to say that the usability is ****, it's buggy, and it's a problem. But it's gotten better for non-tech types in recent years. And maybe a few evenings learning something, just maybe, is preferable to some of the alternatives I spelled out.

Back