Another stuck fermentation thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fantomlord

Reaction score
another stuck fermentation thread...hoping for some input. English barley wine, all grain, 5.25 gallon.

23 lbs Marris Otter
0.75 lbs British Crystal 55L
0.25 lbs Crystal 10L
0.25 lbs Pale Chocolate Malt
1.5 lbs light brown sugar

1.3 oz Northern Discovery (10.9%AA) @60 mins
0.5 oz EKG (7.2%AA) @15 mins
0.4 oz EKG (7.2%) @flame out

90 minute mash at 152
2 hour boil
Pitched onto a cake of 1084 from an Irish Red (best in category at state fair :rockin:)

OG: 1.107 (right on target)
Estimated FG: 1.023

gravity was down to 1.042 after about 10 days, and still there after 20 days. Ambient temp started around 60, and was ~70 by the end of the 3 weeks. roused the yeast, but no change after 4 weeks (total). racked it into a secondary and added a packet of rehydrated Danstar CBC-1. After 2 weeks, still stuck at 1.042. Ambient temp is ~75 now.

Flavor is nice...not cloying, even at that gravity.

I'm planning to bottle this batch and let it age until the fall. What should I do next? Leave it and hope it ferments longer? Pitch yet another yeast? Bottle it? Keg, force carb, and bottle from keg? (kegging is probably least appealing, as I have a very limited number of kegs).

That's only 61% AA, low even for that strain. Your only hope now is to make a massive stir plate starter of an alcohol tolerant strain, and pitch it at high krausen.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's only 61% AA, low even for that strain. Your only hope now is to make a massive stir plate starter of an alcohol tolerant strain, and pitch it at high krausen.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

yeah...that's why I'm surprised it stalled out where it did. I already repitched with the CBC-1, which is supposed to be good for finishing out stalled ferments, and is tolerant to 12-14%. Any suggestion for a specific yeast to pitch?

Back