Another starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerD

Reaction score
I've used White labs pitchable yeast before with no starter and had zero problems. This time I ordered the yeast instead of making the road trip to buy it. I spent the dollar for the ice pack, but between work schedule and delivery time, I'm guessing the yeast spent at least 48 hours at room temp, some of it getting knocked around back of truck. The beer I'm brewing does not have a large OG and the date on the vial is for Feb 09, so I'm guessing the yeast is rather fresh. I put it in the fridge this morning since I'm not brewing until this weekend. Do the temperature changes dictate that I make a starter or should I be OK with the vial as is?

I always make a starter if I have time.

This last batch I didn't make a starter though and I'm paying for it. I'm coming on 62 hours from pitching and I'm not seeing any activity. It was a Wyeast Activator pack that definitely had swelled up so there were live yeast.

Making a starter is one of the simplest and easiest things you can do to improve your beer, not to mention kind of fun. I love getting out my propane camping stove and brewing some wort in my 2L flask.I feel like a mad scientist. Seriously, make starters and you will sleep better.

Latest posts

Back