Another sad stuck fermentation (3711 rescue?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonymark

Reaction score
I brewed 10 gals barley wine back near end of November (OG: 1.086). Pitched a s-04 yeast cake from 5 gallon pale ale. Aerated well and it had a real slow start at 66 F. Heated to about 70 F and after 36 hours, added a hydrated pack of s-05. 12 hours later it is well krausened and looked like a normal active fermentation. Continued for a few weeks at 68 F. Peak at 72 F and 3.5 weeks. Yeast really dropped out and beer is crystal clear. The gravity is reading 1.030. Not really what I was shooting for. Mashed at 150 F. The hydro samples taste a little estery, like a saison (under pitch yeast stress maybe?). Thinking about making a 3711 starter and adding that. I made one batch with 3711 and drank it, but I didn't care for the flavor all that much. How much 3711 flavor will come through at this point? i am worried about how dry it may get since it is 50 IBUs. The 3711 esters may just blend with the estery flavors already there. I might let 3711 chew through it and bulk age it 'til next fall. Thoughts? Opinions?

I don't think a single starter of 3711 will do much of anything.

I'd brew two more 5 gallon ales and then put the stuck barleywine on the yeast cakes. That has always been a sure-fire, never fail method of unsticking a stuck fermentation for me.

I'm curious if anyone has tried Danstar's CBC-1 to finish off a stuck fermentation? It's intended for cask and bottle conditioning with a 12-14% alcohol tolerance. Half the pack for 5gallons is the recommended usage for conditioning. It seems like it would do the job.

I have an under attenuated porter at 1.020 which I went ahead and kegged thinking I could drink it anyways. But so far I've only used it for brownies and lamb stout pies. I've been considering to pick up a pack of the CBC-1 to give it a try. I just haven't been to the LHBS lately to see if they carry it.

I don't think a single starter of 3711 will do much of anything.

I'd brew two more 5 gallon ales and then put the stuck barleywine on the yeast cakes. That has always been a sure-fire, never fail method of unsticking a stuck fermentation for me.

I need to rack off a wit sitting on 3944 today. That could be an interesting combination. If I keep it in the 60s, the cloviness will be toned down a good bit. Not sure how the tartness will play out. I have only made my house witbier with 3944. That stuff stays in suspension for about a month so it just might work.

According to Danstar
CBC-1 is best used for refermentation purposes conducted preferably with priming sugars such as dextrose.

I suspect CBC-1 might have a tougher time with more complex sugars.

Pulled the trigger and added a 3944 cake from 7 gallons of witbier to half of the barley wine. There airlock has renewed activity, but it could be because I moved it to our slightly warmer main floor. I will know in a few days, 3944 is a big krausen producer.

If the 3944 doesn't work, try the 3711. It will not contribute much flavor at this point. I used it to finish off a 1.100 BW which was stuck at 1.020. Took it down to 1.010, just where I wanted it.

Make a half gallon starter of 3711. Add half a gallon of the BW to it. When fermenting, add the whole gallon to the main batch.

If the 3944 doesn't work, try the 3711. It will not contribute much flavor at this point. I used it to finish off a 1.100 BW which was stuck at 1.020. Took it down to 1.010, just where I wanted it.

Make a half gallon starter of 3711. Add half a gallon of the BW to it. When fermenting, add the whole gallon to the main batch.

Thanks. The 3944 has really taken off. There is 1/2 inch of the typical 3944 foamy krausen. If I was optimistic, I would put on a blow off tube. I will see how far it takes it. I would be happy with 1.020, but 1.015 would be better.

Back