Another sad stuck fermentation (3711 rescue?)

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

tonymark

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2012
Messages
108
Reaction score
4
Location
Atlanta
I brewed 10 gals barley wine back near end of November (OG: 1.086). Pitched a s-04 yeast cake from 5 gallon pale ale. Aerated well and it had a real slow start at 66 F. Heated to about 70 F and after 36 hours, added a hydrated pack of s-05. 12 hours later it is well krausened and looked like a normal active fermentation. Continued for a few weeks at 68 F. Peak at 72 F and 3.5 weeks. Yeast really dropped out and beer is crystal clear. The gravity is reading 1.030. Not really what I was shooting for. Mashed at 150 F. The hydro samples taste a little estery, like a saison (under pitch yeast stress maybe?). Thinking about making a 3711 starter and adding that. I made one batch with 3711 and drank it, but I didn't care for the flavor all that much. How much 3711 flavor will come through at this point? i am worried about how dry it may get since it is 50 IBUs. The 3711 esters may just blend with the estery flavors already there. I might let 3711 chew through it and bulk age it 'til next fall. Thoughts? Opinions?
 

JonM

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
9,318
Reaction score
4,150
Location
Milwaukee
I don't think a single starter of 3711 will do much of anything.

I'd brew two more 5 gallon ales and then put the stuck barleywine on the yeast cakes. That has always been a sure-fire, never fail method of unsticking a stuck fermentation for me.
 

Quaker

Beer Missionary
Joined
Sep 4, 2011
Messages
1,046
Reaction score
135
Location
Burlington
I'm curious if anyone has tried Danstar's CBC-1 to finish off a stuck fermentation? It's intended for cask and bottle conditioning with a 12-14% alcohol tolerance. Half the pack for 5gallons is the recommended usage for conditioning. It seems like it would do the job.

I have an under attenuated porter at 1.020 which I went ahead and kegged thinking I could drink it anyways. But so far I've only used it for brownies and lamb stout pies. I've been considering to pick up a pack of the CBC-1 to give it a try. I just haven't been to the LHBS lately to see if they carry it.
 
OP
T

tonymark

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2012
Messages
108
Reaction score
4
Location
Atlanta
I don't think a single starter of 3711 will do much of anything.

I'd brew two more 5 gallon ales and then put the stuck barleywine on the yeast cakes. That has always been a sure-fire, never fail method of unsticking a stuck fermentation for me.
I need to rack off a wit sitting on 3944 today. That could be an interesting combination. If I keep it in the 60s, the cloviness will be toned down a good bit. Not sure how the tartness will play out. I have only made my house witbier with 3944. That stuff stays in suspension for about a month so it just might work.
 
OP
T

tonymark

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2012
Messages
108
Reaction score
4
Location
Atlanta
According to Danstar
CBC-1 is best used for refermentation purposes conducted preferably with priming sugars such as dextrose.
I suspect CBC-1 might have a tougher time with more complex sugars.
 
OP
T

tonymark

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2012
Messages
108
Reaction score
4
Location
Atlanta
Pulled the trigger and added a 3944 cake from 7 gallons of witbier to half of the barley wine. There airlock has renewed activity, but it could be because I moved it to our slightly warmer main floor. I will know in a few days, 3944 is a big krausen producer.
 

Calder

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2010
Messages
8,545
Reaction score
1,034
Location
Ohio
If the 3944 doesn't work, try the 3711. It will not contribute much flavor at this point. I used it to finish off a 1.100 BW which was stuck at 1.020. Took it down to 1.010, just where I wanted it.

Make a half gallon starter of 3711. Add half a gallon of the BW to it. When fermenting, add the whole gallon to the main batch.
 
OP
T

tonymark

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2012
Messages
108
Reaction score
4
Location
Atlanta
If the 3944 doesn't work, try the 3711. It will not contribute much flavor at this point. I used it to finish off a 1.100 BW which was stuck at 1.020. Took it down to 1.010, just where I wanted it.

Make a half gallon starter of 3711. Add half a gallon of the BW to it. When fermenting, add the whole gallon to the main batch.
Thanks. The 3944 has really taken off. There is 1/2 inch of the typical 3944 foamy krausen. If I was optimistic, I would put on a blow off tube. I will see how far it takes it. I would be happy with 1.020, but 1.015 would be better.
 
Top