Another sacrifice to the bottling gods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
Every time, it seems. Last time it was a leak in my spigot that cost me a couple bottles.

This time, we were ALMOST done bottling the batch. It was going GREAT! No mishaps. No leaks. No problems.

Then just as we're finishing up the bucket full... *CRACK* I broke the neck off a bottle. And the top got jammed in the capper. Nothing I could do would get it out, it was so jammed in there. So, in the end, we poured out the last two bottles into the sink as a sacrifice to the bottling gods. Just nothing else I could do with them.

I think the last bottle got a little aerated anyway, trying to get the last bit out of the bottling bucket.

The last bit, sometimes just about half a bottle... is what i call my samplers, i bottle em and taste em 3 or 4 days afterwards, gives me a little glimpse of what to expect of my beer in the weeks to come.

Never broke a bottle with my capper... you dont need to apply so much brute force to it you know? :)

Then, i always turn each bottle upside down for a second when done capping, i have heard it gets a little sugar up there that helps to properly seal the caps.

best thing to do would have been to properly smash the piece of bottle neck that was stuck in the capper, that'd get it out.
Also, just drink the leftovers.
I always do 40 pint kits, but use half litre bottles, so I have a little overshoot on my bottling anyway, I generally drink the overshoot rather than just fill a few bottles which then look forlorn as my cases only take 20 bottles each.

Trenchant: Thanks for that groundbreaking insight. Wow, I've never heard of kegging before. ;)

Drinking green beer with priming sugar mixed into it. :p I'll pass on that.

I wasn't using unusual force. I think the bottle was just weak. And I broke everything off right to the cap and it didn't come out. It's wedged in there tight.

Just a sacrifice demanded by the bottling gods. :D

I don't bottle often, but I seen to have a problem with cracking necks. I have an extra fine sieve which I'll use to pour the brew through into a glass.

I only bottle from the keg, so it's pre-aged and ready to drink.

best thing to do would have been to properly smash the piece of bottle neck that was stuck in the capper, that'd get it out.
Also, just drink the leftovers.
I always do 40 pint kits, but use half litre bottles, so I have a little overshoot on my bottling anyway, I generally drink the overshoot rather than just fill a few bottles which then look forlorn as my cases only take 20 bottles each.

When in doubt, just smash it :rockin:

Yep. My bottling is cursed. Another batch, another bottle broke in the capper. Only lost one bottle of beer this time though.

I gotta get into a house so I have room to keg.

Back