Another ruined beer thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl1783

Reaction score
Howdy guys, I've been lurking for awhile, first time posting. I brewed a wheat ale five days ago. I had a blow off tube on the carboy for the first four days, and switched over to a stopper and airlock yesterday. I came home today and my cat had knocked out the stopper and it was on the floor. I looked inside the carboy and he had knocked a pine needle inside it, (I assume it was on his foot and it went inside). I tried to get the need out with a sanitized turkey baster but I couldn't so I just said screw it and capped it with an airlock again. Is this beer gonna be ruined or should I stick it out and see what happens?

Always stay in for the long haul, IMO. It may surprise you. Heck, you can even name the batch after the cat!
Even if it gets infected, still bottle it, and let it sit in the bottles for a while. Often times, those infection-caused flavors can go away with a little (sometimes long) time.

How much yeast did you pitch?

um... How does this happen exactly? I have trouble getting my stopper out with my man hands and your little kitten got it out no prob? send him over here!

let it ride, its prob fine

Haha, I don't know how I happened really, I just came home and it was out. Maybe because it was still wet with starsan, as the stopper had been in for less than a day.

I'd let it sit and unless I see gross moldy stuff swimming id taste it also but that's just me c

My dog ate my airlock once and there was plastic-lab slobber and vodka from the airlock all over my fermenter.I cleaned up the mess let the lab slobber ale finish-kegged it and drank it with no ill effect other than when someone throws a stick I get excited and retrieve it;)----

Back