Another reason beer is better than water . . .!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nope...even then because your boiling the water. That at least kills all the creepy crawlies that will be in it.

Most pharmaceuticals are not protein based (amino acid based, rather). Most are composed of aromatic carbon rings (cyclohexanes, benzenes, cyclopentanes, etc.).

Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
Aspirin
Estrogen
Zocor (cholesterol med)
Nexium (reflux)

EDIT: oh, and Aspirin, for instance, decomposes at 284 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't think we can boil that out.
And for the other chem kids out there: I'm not saying cyclo(whatevers) are aromatic, just listing the common themes in medicines.

ddroukas said:
Most pharmaceuticals are not protein based (amino acid based, rather). Most are composed of aromatic carbon rings (cyclohexanes, benzenes, cyclopentanes, etc.).

Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
Aspirin
Estrogen
Zocor (cholesterol med)
Nexium (reflux)

EDIT: oh, and Aspirin, for instance, decomposes at 284 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't think we can boil that out.
And for the other chem kids out there: I'm not saying cyclo(whatevers) are aromatic, just listing the common themes in medicines.

So, since they are not being boiled out, are we just concentrating these compounds, as we do the wort when we boil it?

The story said the concentrations were on the order of parts per billion or trillion. Boiling down approximately 15% of the volume of your wort (from 5.75 to 5 gallons in a one hour boil) is utterly inconsequential to the concentrations of the pharmaceuticals. For all intensive purposes, it's basically the same concentration pre- and post-boil.

Just for fun: I found the minimum effective dose of aspirin to be 30mg/day (on the web somewhere). If you dissolved one 30mg tablet into a 5 gallon batch of beer, it translates to approximately 1557 ppm (factoring in a final gravity of 1.018). Compare this to the 0.001 ppm or 0.000001 ppm the story suggests it was found in.

You would also have to consume all 5 gallons of that beer in a timely fashion to get back that effective dose. However, you should note I used a medically useful dose--there are other effects due to long-term, low-concentration exposure.

Back