Another RDWHAHB question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coff

Reaction score
I realize from reading many a thread on the forums that this is an oft asked question but I need a bit of reassurance I guess.

I brewed the NB Phat Tyre Amber kit on 11/3/10, the OG was 1.052 which was right on the target. I made a starter, first one in my new 2L flask. I didnt account for boil off and it ended up a 500ml start instead of 1L. Then brewday was put off for 5 days and I crash cooled it and decanted. Here is the recipe...

Steeped at 155 for 20 mins
0.5lbs Victory Malt
0.5lbs Caramel 60

Extract:
1lb Pilsen DME 60 min
6lbs Munich Malt Syrup 15 min

Hops:
1oz Perle 60min
1oz Hersbrucker 15min

Wyeast 1762

Took a gravity reading at about 14 days, 1.019 so I figured I could squeeze a bit more out. My target was 1.014, too dry? It fermented colder than I had wanted to, about 62F. So its been 21 days in primary and Im about to bottle, FG still 1.019 should I try to rouse the yeast and warm it up, maybe pitch a pinch of Notty or just bottle it up and say oh well bad attenuation?

From my calcs that 74% attenuation....not too bad.... that strain should do 73-77. 62º is a bit cool for the strain, which could explain the low(ish) attenuation.

Yea I know, I misread it when I was planning my brews. I am fermenting a 2 hearted with 1056 in the same room and that works a little cooler.

So I guess i should bottle it up then? I probably wont get much more out of it huh?

I would be rousting it from day one. yeast don't swim. they eat what's around them. Roust the carboy and give it another week and it should drop to where you want it.

Do you give it a real good shake, like swirl it pretty good or just gently rock it back and forth.

I'm a newbie researching a similar situation, and I believe you just rock it gently, as you don't want any more oxygen in your beer at this point. That should be enough to make some yeast move around and do their thing. But I can't guarantee I'm right so please wait for a more qualified answer before doing anything. I'll be waiting for the same answer myself, to see if I've understood correctly. :)

The headspace of your carboy after fermentation doesn't have any O2 so that's not a problem, it will get displaced by the heavier CO2 during the fermentation. So, There is no real method to rousting, what you want to do is stir up the yeast and flush the CO2 out of the solution so the yeast add more CO2. I usually take my foot and place at the bottom of the carboy on the floor grab the neck and swirl.

Back