Another question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

packy28

Reaction score
I have followed the brewing instuctions in my kit and it say that it will make 5 gal of beer. getting ready to add my yeast and I only have 4.5 gallons of wort in my primary. should I add more water or just pitch my yeast... i have followed the recipe to the t and added oll the correct amounts of water.
what do you think...

I have followed the brewing instuctions in my kit and it say that it will make 5 gal of beer. getting ready to add my yeast and I only have 4.5 gallons of wort in my primary. should I add more water or just pitch my yeast... i have followed the recipe to the t and added oll the correct amounts of water.
what do you think...

What's the hydrometer reading? Does it match the kit instructions?

Top it up to 5 gallons with clean water and pitch your yeast. In a few weeks you'll have wonderful beer.

My hydrometer reading is like 1.054... ther is no spec on the gravity for this kit in the instructions.... it's a golden ale....with specialty grains used

16 oz carafoam
3.3 lb extra light malt extract
1 lb rice syrup solids
1 lb extra light dme
1/2 oz 60 min sterling
1/2 oz 5 min sterling

16 oz carafoam
3.3 lb extra light malt extract
1 lb rice syrup solids
1 lb extra light dme
1/2 oz 60 min sterling
1/2 oz 5 min sterling

That recipe looks like "light" beer, and I think the OG would be around 1.042 or so for 5 gallons. In that case, I would top off to 5 gallons so that it's not too "thick" and malty.

what the hell...whats the worst that can happen...Just topped it off to 5 gallons and I am currently rehydrating my yeast will be pitching in about 5 minutes

after adding another half gallon of water my og was 1.050.. just pitched my yeast... and wouldn't ya know it went to put the airlock in the lid and yup PLOP....in went the rubber gromet... had to fish it out with my long spoon...oh yeah you guys forgot to mention that if i drink through the whole process i'll can't a little buzz.... my lovely wife picked me up a 12er of saranac winter mix or something like that....had about 5 of those a couple blue moons and a couple miller lites..yeah yeah yeah i know

Back