Another One: Should I add water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatwad

Reaction score
I saw the other guys post, but unlike him, I didn't hit my OG, and I haven't pitched yet.

I was 1054, and I needed to be at 1043 for my California Common.

Boil Time: 1 hour
Boil Volume: 6.5 Gal
Final Volume (with a little trub loss): Less than 4 Gal

Gravity was 1054, wanted to be at about 1044 or so, as mentioned.
Chilled quickly with Wort Chiller.

I haven't pitched yet.
Should I add a Gal or just pitch and ride it out?

Thanks much!

4 gallons of 1.054, is a total of 216 gravity points (4x54 = 216) adding a gallon of water or whatever will bring you up to 5 gallons will make it 1.0432 (216/5 = 43.2). So you were right on! Are positive you had 6.5 gallons preboil? if so you boiled off a little over 2.5 gallons, that is a pretty large boil off. Anyways, looks like you hit your efficiency right

If you want to be at 1.044, and you're currently at 1.054, then yes, add water. If you want to end up with 1.044, then add one gallon.

Actually, if you're at 1.054 now and you have 4 gallons, you could add exactly one gallon and end up with 1.043.

Thanks Dudes!

Yep, I was at 6.5 preboil. Pretty substantial. But the Pot I used was EXTREMELY short and Wide. I think that had something to do with it.... plus my rolling boil I kept goin.

First timer here... I know it'll be a few times before I dial in my brewhouse. But I appreciate all your help!

Back