Another noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rydia131

Reaction score
Ok so if I want my fermentation to take place in my carboy rather than my fermentation bucket what is the best way to transfer to it? I would assume to use my siphon but I guess I was concerned about pitching my yeast and then siphoning into the carboy and leaving the yeast behind. Thanks again for the info!

After you boil and cool your wort, just transfer it directly to the carboy instead of to the bucket then to the carboy. Assuming you're doing an extract batch, you'll need to add a couple gallons of (chilled) water to the carboy first, then add the wort (by siphon or by pouring into a funnel), then add top-off water until you reach 5 gallons, or whatever your batch size is. Then pitch the yeast into the carboy.

Ok so this was what I was originally planning on doing but I have no clue how I would pitch the yeast and actually get it all in. Seems like half of it would end up on the sides of the carboy?

Take your time pitching the yeast. I've pitched liquid yeast in carboys with no issues. Simply restrain your pour such that you have a stream of liquid/powder slowly draining straight down the neck directly into the wort. You should be able to avoid the sides completely.

Are you using a liquid yeast culture or a dry yeast? If you're using dry, rehydrate it in about a cup of room temperature water before you pitch. Again, if you have a funnel, put it in the neck of the carboy and pour the liquid yeast or the rehydrated dry yeast slurry into the funnel. Once you do that, cover the carboy neck and slosh it around for a couple minutes. Not only will that aerate your wort (which you need to provide oxygen for the yeast to do their thing), but you'll also catch some of the yeast slurry that gets caught on the inside wall of the carboy. Don't worry if you miss a little bit, as the yeast will start reproducing on their own once fermentation begins.

Sounds good ill pick up a funnel and give this a go. I used a bucket the first time and want to see what's going on this time. Thanks for the help guys

SteveLikesBeer said:
Take your time pitching the yeast. I've pitched liquid yeast in carboys with no issues. Simply restrain your pour such that you have a stream of liquid/powder slowly draining straight down the neck directly into the wort. You should be able to avoid the sides completely.

+1 or use a funnel. I prefer not to use a funnel, because you'll leave a little behind. But if you don't have a steady hand the funnel is good.

What do u guys use to pour/mix with? I guess I also have seen it being difficult because I just use a bowl to hydrate the yeast in. Doesn't seem like a good pouring vessel. Also I have only added maybe 4 tablespoons of water, just enough to hydrate, but I can use my liquid to make pitching easier?

I was using a Pyrex 2C measure to rehydrate my yeast in covered with plastic wrap. I usually rehydrate in 1-1.5C of boiled & cooled water. I then went to the lhbs for some stuff,& wound up bying a 1000mL earlynmeyer flask. Now I can do starters or rehydrate in that. Didn't cost too much.

Before I had my 2L flask I used a measuring cup with 1 cup of water to hydrate the yeast then just pour it in.

What do u guys use to pour/mix with? I guess I also have seen it being difficult because I just use a bowl to hydrate the yeast in. Doesn't seem like a good pouring vessel. Also I have only added maybe 4 tablespoons of water, just enough to hydrate, but I can use my liquid to make pitching easier?

What about re-hydrating in a measuring cup. You can pour easily and accurately with one.

Before I had my 2L flask I used a measuring cup with 1 cup of water to hydrate the yeast then just pour it in.

+1. Just make sure that any other containers/funnels/other equipment you use have been sanitized, since they will be coming into contact with the wort post-boil.

The Pyrex measuring cup was the handiest,since it has a pouring spout. And being easy to clean,so I just grabbed that in the kitchen to use. Works fine for the small amounts used to rehydrate.

Back