Another Lager question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimmD

Reaction score
I just bottled my lager with some DME. I tasted the brew at bottling and it was nice and crisp a bit sulfury and not but a tad of diacetyl. Now after sitting at 60-65 for a week it tastes like a butterscotch sunday. Is this due to the re-addition of the DME. Is this normal? Should I just RDWHAHB and ride out the bottle conditioning a bit longer?
Thanks for the input.

Diacetyl comes from the oxidation of a byproduct of the yeast called (AAL) which is generated at the beginning of fermentation. Later on, with the use of a diacetyl rest, the yeast will eat up the diacetyl before it flocculates to the bottom of the fermenter.

Now if the AAL oxidation ended by using up the rest of the oxygen, that means that there still is some AAL in the beer. You may have reintroduced oxygen when you racked to the bottles, thus giving the remaining AAL a chance to oxidize and create more diacetyl.

TimmD said:
Should I just RDWHAHB and ride out the bottle conditioning a bit longer?

This is your only reasonable chance anyway. Give it some more time. the yeast should clean it up over time. If it doesn, then it pooped out and wasn't healthy enough.

Kai

Back