Another Keg Leaking Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carusoat

Reaction score
Hey all, I couldn't find a thread with the same issue I'm having. I have discovered a leak in one of the kegs I just got. It's not leaking from the lid or the posts. It's not the o-rings or springs or any of that stuff. (I replaced them all.) Here's a picture of where it's leaking:

IMG_0715_zpsch3zqwgy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Is that leaking from the body of the keg itself? Anyone have any experience with this? Any way to fix it?

Thanks for your help.

Barring actual puncture damage which I'm sure you'd have mentioned, I would suspect a breach in the welding around the closest post.

You'd have to carve away the rubber to prove that to be true, then find someone to either silver solder or weld the breach...

Cheers!

The rubber-to-keg seal is not continuous. You will always see bubbles from around the rubber. Press on the rubber and you'll see. It's probably not a keg leak.

acidrain, if I turn up the pressure from say 10 psi to 30 psi the bubbles go crazy. Wouldn't that indicate that it's leaking?

Or that the keg is expanding slightly causing the space between the rubber and the keg to become smaller.
On the other hand, I have a keg that had hidden damage under the rubber. The lid didn't seal right, and when I took the lid off and looked, there was a pretty significant dent, which was hidden by the rubber. I tried to hammer out, but only damaged the keg... then it did leak.
If you look inside at that area, what do you see? You might have to use a small mirror and flashlight.

Didn't see anything. You may be right about it contracting since I had just put it in my keezer. I put 20lbs on it just now and didn't see any bubbles, so hopefully all is good. Thanks a lot for you help.

Back