Another KEEZER build.... w/ pics.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should listen to the recent Brewstrong show on perfect pours. Great info about tube length and pressure to get a smooth pour every time. Basically it talks about the resistance in beer line (@ 2.2 pounds per foot) and how you match length to the CO2 in your beer. Say you have a beer that is carbonated with 14 PSI at 45 degrees serving temp. So, 14 divided by 2.2 equals 6.3 feet to balance. You want a little pressure left over so the beer doesn't just trickle out, so maybe you want 5.5' of beer line to get the beer out. You also need to calculate the rise from the top of the keg to the spigot. Listen to the show and John Palmer will explain it all.

Will definitely give it a listen.

For beer line, I talked with the guys at kegconnection, who said that I should be good with 5' given the set-up I have as long as I have good even temps and run primarily 12 PSI beers (as I anticipate with primarily IPAs). I've been nervous about this, after hearing all about 10-foot plus lines, but they were re-assuring, so we'll see....

Unfortunately, I'm going out of town tomorrow and won't be back until Thursday, so the trial will have to wait. But I've got an IPA dry hopping and a 1/6th of Boston Lager on order.

I would believe 5" at 12 PSI is going to be great. Really nice job on your set-up. I am sure it could even make Bud taste good!

A few "final" pics since I realized I never added them to the end of this thread.
IMG_2273.jpg

IMG_2275.jpg

Have the plumbing in hand to add a third gas line off the end of the existing regulators to provide a spot to gas a third keg while I'm drinking the other two.... and eventually I'm sure I'll slide a 3rd tap in the middle of the other two as well as another reg.

With the fan I've added now, I can maintain a friggid' serving temp of about 38 with no freezing at the bottom. At 10 psi I've got beautiful pours from both taps and ice cold brew. 12 psi poured well also, but seemed over carbed after I lowered the temp from around 42 or 44.

That is incredible! I have spent so much money in my head looking through all the DIY threads.

That is the most beautiful keezer build i have seen yet. Myself i like the way you have surrounded it with wood and stained it. Good job!

This is very fine! When I do get tot he point where I'm able to convert my deep-freeze, I'd really like to panel it out like this one. I like!

-Tripod

Great looking unit. I will do something similar when the time comes.

I have some questions:

- How did you fasten the panels? Construction adhesive? Perimeter only or entire panel?
- The seam between the chest and the lid - which did you fasten it too?
- Would you mind shooting a close-up of the corner detail? How you mated the two rosettes and pilasters from adjoining surfaces is what I'd like to see. Corner to corner or mitre?

Again - it looks great and thanks for the inspiration.

sp

I have some questions:
- How did you fasten the panels? Construction adhesive? Perimeter only or entire panel?
- The seam between the chest and the lid - which did you fasten it too?
- Would you mind shooting a close-up of the corner detail? How you mated the two rosettes and pilasters from adjoining surfaces is what I'd like to see. Corner to corner or mitre?

1. Construction adhesive... the entire outline of the panel and then randomly throughout. Held it tight using clamps and a lot of weight, gluing each piece separately and turning the freezer on its side as needed.

2. The original seal is attached to the collar.... using the original plastic push "pins" and a bead of caulk. I'll get you a couple pics tomorrow when I'm not drunk....

3. The rosettes were mitered on a 45, clamped, and glued before afixing them to the freezer. The front pilaster was then attached as a single unit to the front of the freezer, while the side portion of the same pilaster was ripped to width, eliminating enough of the last remaining portion to make the profile match the front when considering the width of the front piece... again, I'll get you some pics a little later.

Corner Pilaster Details.... easier to show than describe. Easier to conceal than a miter.
CornerTrim.jpg

Otherwise, I appreciate the good words... she's a work in progress, with plenty of things I'd already have changed.

Thanks for the explanations.

I should have been clearer on my second query... I meant the trim piece that you used to cover the seam between the body of the freezer and the collar that can be seen in post #5. Which component did you fasten it to? It looks like the collar...

Thanks for the explanations.

I should have been clearer on my second query... I meant the trim piece that you used to cover the seam between the body of the freezer and the collar that can be seen in post #5. Which component did you fasten it to? It looks like the collar...

A couple pics to help detail it... but yes, the horizontal leaf trim is attached to the collar/lid assembly, which overhangs the main frame of the collar to conceal the rubber seal.

Top of freezer body with lid open:
IMG_2325.jpg

The underside of one corner of the lid:
IMG_2319.jpg

Side/corner view so you can see the slight gap between the horizontal leaf trim and the horizontal beaded trim at the rosettes.
IMG_2314.jpg

Have you paid attention at all to any heat build-up on the paneling?

The panels get warm... as they should. If they did not, I'd need to worry. The cooling of the freezer depends on the heat from the inside radiating out through the sides... if the sides were cool, it'd mean that the heat was trapped inside. If they warm when it's running, it's working as it should. I have the exact same freezer for my food... it's no cooler or warmer than this one when running.

The approximate r-value of 1/8" hardwood plywood is a mere 0.09. That's the equivalent of almost nothing... where-as, a 1-inch air space can create up to an r-value of 1.00. That's why I kept the material very thin and tight to the sides.

Very nice build!

Just picked up a Holiday on Craig's list and am looking to do something similar but with a tower and a short collar (to gain room for hoses, etc.).
Is the wrap pretty much all glued (panels, columns, etc.)?

Very nice build!

Just picked up a Holiday on Craig's list and am looking to do something similar but with a tower and a short collar (to gain room for hoses, etc.) and a tower.
Is the wrap pretty much all glued (panels, columns, etc.)?

99% glue and/or construction adhesive with a brad or two here and there on the base, and screws, nails, glue and brads for the top/collar. For the most part, assembly consisted of gluing one piece, clamping it... letting it dry, and then glue and clamp another piece. Just be careful with the excess glue, keeping the stain nice and uniform over glue is very difficult.

Thanks. That seemed as if it would work.
Where did you source your veneer & marble laminate? Online or a local supplier for cabinetry?

Everything came from Home Depot, Lowes, and/or Menards. The paneling is simply 1/8" oak veneer and the marble laminate came from the kitchen center at menards.

Hop-Head,
That is absolutely beautiful. I am planning mine now, and I will be taking a lot of your ideas for the build. Like you, SWMBO insists it look like furniture, which is OK by me because it’s going in the living room.

One question (For now!:D). How did you attach the drip tray brackets to the front? Construction adhesive?

Again, beautiful work!

Hop-Head,
That is absolutely beautiful. I am planning mine now, and I will be taking a lot of your ideas for the build. Like you, SWMBO insists it look like furniture, which is OK by me because it’s going in the living room.

One question (For now!:D). How did you attach the drip tray brackets to the front? Construction adhesive?

Again, beautiful work!

Yes, construction adhesive. It's held many a full pitcher to date without a bit of flex. I'd love to pull on it to see how strong it really is, but I fear the worst so I won't... not that there's a problem, because there's no wiggle what-so-ever, I'm just a nail/screw guy, so it's tough to get used to. But the bottom line is... it's worked great so far and has held everything it's needed to.

Glad you like the build... be sure to post or send pics of your own. :mug:

Now serving with 3 taps.... actually, it's been a little while, i just haven't updated this post. The third is pretty much set aside for the wife and her mixers, etc... right now she's serving root beer. Damn good root beer I might add..... :mug: The other two are serving Full Circle by New Holland Brewing and a Home Brew IPA...

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2520.jpg

IMG_2528.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

Now if only I could settle on tap handles... bought some, made some, and yet, I'm back to the stock short little black guys that came with the taps....

By the way.... if you're a perfectionist like me, order all your tap handles at once. These three all came from the same source and are the exact same model... unfortunately though, the "P" on the front is different with the last one I ordered... and the top of the cheap black handle is flat not rounded like the other two.... while others might not notice, I do every single time I pour. ;)

By the way.... if you're a perfectionist like me, order all your tap handles at once. These three all came from the same source and are the exact same model... unfortunately though, the "P" on the front is different with the last one I ordered... and the top of the cheap black handle is flat not rounded like the other two.... while others might not notice, I do every single time I pour. ;)

Heh... same *exact* thing happened to me. Tap and handle, both.

But, I was fortunate enough to have bought them from kegconnection.com and they fixed me right up.

SWMBO's looking at me in a goofy way because i'm just staring at your keezer build, that thing's a piece of art congrats. My wounded keezer has a sheet of galvanized tin glues to it's side from a line puncture repair, it had a bullet hole not by me LOL! It looks like the Red Green show built it a Red Neck special.

If I remember correctly, I emailed a few of these shots to the person who first requested them awhile back... but I had someone ask again, so here you go.... nothing special from this angle.
IMG_2823-Optimized.jpg

IMG_2821-Optimized.jpg

Back