Another is my beer stuck thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtVandelay

Reaction score
First off, don't worry, I'm having a home brew.

I brewed an imperial stout (Northern Brewer extract kit) around 2.5 weeks ago, partial boil all extract. Measured OG was 1.090 with a kit target of 1.086. Fermentation peaked at 74F and eventually reached 58F and after about 2 weeks I was at 1032 if it hits the low end of the attenuation % it should have a FG of 1028. I'm using Wyeast 1728 (attenuation 69-73%) and made a big starter and it had no trouble taking off. Wyeast lists 55F as minimum temp so I thought 58F would be fine.

Since I was a bit worried that it was stuck, I raised the temp back up over the past 5 days to 70F and gently roused the trub twice in case it went dormant. Just checked and its still sitting at 1032. I thought maybe the OG was just off, however it seems more likely that if it was, it was an artificially high reading (in that case my attenuation is even worse)

From this, i have a couple questions:
1. Is it stuck? I'd really rather not repitch any dry yeast.
2. If it is stuck is it because the temp got a little low on a big beer?
3. Or did it just attenuate a bit lower than predicted and this is completely normal.
4. What percentage over the FG estimate should one consider a batch stuck?

I'm sipping the green, viscous, warm hydrometer sample right now and its delicious.

Well temperatures could have thrown off your hydrometer readings a few points, so that could be part of the problem. beer calculus says a 1.090 beer fermented using 1728 should reach about 1.028, so you are pretty close.
I'd let it sit a little longer and see if decides to go any further.

Back