Another "is my beer ruined" thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigidogg

Reaction score
Apologies in advance.

I just kegged a somewhat high gravity golden ale (~8.5%). It had a rather long primary fermentation, around 3 weeks that never went crazy, but just kept bubbling every 4 seconds or so for around 2 weeks before slowing. No krausen was present at transfer to secondary and the measured gravity was within 1.004 of where it finished. Once in the secondary it started bubbling in a similar manner to when it was in the primary and a thick krausen returned, almost needing a blow-off tube. Secondary took 2 weeks before all the action stopped and there was no more foam on the surface. There were some yeast colored thick gunk that stuck to the sides of the carboy until I kegged it tonight. Nothing rope-like or fuzzy that I noticed in the second krausen. It didn't smell bad except for a little bit of detectable sulfur smell which I've had before, mostly in Hefe's I've brewed. Also, I chilled the secondary to 38F for 3 days prior to kegging and it was still quite hazy. I used Wyeast 3944 and did my usual sanitizing routine. Am I screwed? If I do have some contamination what should I look for? What taste will let me know if it's bad?

Again, sorry for another one of these threads. Just never had any problems before.

Well...... I was intending, using a recipe online, to make a strong belgian golden ale, but my LHBS didn't have the yeast the recipe called for so I tried the wit yeast. Might not have been the best choice. I also added too much sugar to get a little more alcohol content.

Don't really know what to do with a high gravity wit, I mean most people don't secondary a wit because its not necessary while a belgian strong requires a long secondary and lengthy time in bottle. I can't imagine any 8.3 beer is going to be drinkable right away, but like I said I've never made a high gravity wit. Don't think your beer is infected, wit yeast just stay in suspension a long time.

don't expect the yeast to clear anytime soon, or at all. i'm actually surprised that yeast made it down all the way to 16. i'd leave this one alone until about memorial day. i wouldn't worry about infection. i would vent the keg every week or so. what temp did you ferment at?

FYI, this beer has fully carbonated at this point and, while it does need to age some, doesn't taste bad at all. Not really what I was going for though. No sourness or off flavors, just a little alcohol heat at this young age. I'm fully convinced that it is really hard to make a bad homebrew. Cheers!

Back