Another "Is my beer ruined?" thread - frozen beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

chiefbrewer

Reaction score
So I was lagering my kolsch. Starting two fridays ago, i slowly brought the temp down 5 deg per day. Last weekend, I had the Ranco Temp controller set on 36, but the thermometer I had in the fridge read 40. So I turned the Ranco down to about 34, and left it for a week. Apparently, there is about an 8 degree temp differential between the top of the fridge(where the thermometer is) and the bottom, because my Kolsch is FROZEN!!!:mad:
What can I do?

maltMonkey

Reaction score
coincidently, I was reading up on lagering today and came across this and this. He's talking about lagers instead of ales, but hopefully it will ease your mind!

OP
C

chiefbrewer

Reaction score
Here's how stupid I am...I have that book. DUH
Well I turned the contoller back to 40, and movd the thermometer down by the carboy. I will adjust it until it gets to about 36...and let it thaw.
I was planning on kegging it next weekend, so hopefully it will thaw this weekend. I'm not concerned with yeast activity continuing. At this point, I am just using the cold temps to clear it up.

Aleforge

Reaction score
From my research I have read of frozen lagers many of times, and each time they seemed to turn out fine once thawed.

jsuiker

Reaction score
haha, just did the same thing to my kolsch today. I had the Ranco set to 31 though, so it serves me right. I had hoped the alcohol content would keep the freezing point low.

I think a fan is in order to circulate air in the mini fridge.

Are you gonna pitch some more yeast to ensure good carbonation or are you kegging?

pigpharm

Reaction score
So, I prepare to bottle my scotch ale, and it's frozen. I'm comforted by these posts (thanks, maltmonkey!) that i can add new yeast and have drinkable beer, but i wonder if there will be aftereffects. Will this break up the colloidal properties I love so much? Or affect the flavor in the long run?

I'm trying to develop a consistant recipe, so I would like to know if i can judge this batch fairly.