Another "Is my beer infected?" thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motleybrews

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys. Recently brewed a beer involving blueberries. Have never worked with fruit before. not sure if this is what is supposed to happen, or if it is an infection. if its an infection, it'll be my first. Racked the beer to secondary and onto 5 pounds of blueberries (which i pasturized) on Tuesday night. The base beer was crystal clear and nice tasting.

no, i am not worried about it. just curious about what it is (since i've never seen anything like it), or what it'll do if it is an infection. no, i will not send it to you for proper disposal!

*another note, i've only used that better bottle once before, and the fermentation was very strong, and i knew it was fermentation. this could very well be normal!

video is here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it's just starting to ferment the sugar in the blueberries. Could be nothing, could be something. It's almost always hard to say without tasting.

Try it first, I had an infection and It made my beer taste like feet, $60 worth of IIPA had to be destroyed, now your going to need to oxyclean all equipment that touches the infection for about an hour and then do a strong bleach solution and soak it for another hour, then rise everything until there is no bleach smell, now the oxyclean may leave a white chalky coating on everything but a weak acid (vinegar) will remove that, but then you will need to re clean everything with HOT water
Its a lot of work but you don't wanna waste any more beer!

I've made those dome-shaped bubbles appear on the top of a secondary once. Kegged the beer and drank it as normal, and it was fine. Bottling might be different though. Be careful if you bottle it. Check at least one bottle a week to make sure the batch isn't over-carbing.

Back