Another ''is it a contamination'' thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froted123

Reaction score
hey guys,

I'm quite new to this forum. Yet, it's a pretty nice source of information for beginner like me. Here's the thing, i just need to be reassured a little bit. I got something on the top layer that looks like a bit like bacterial colonie White and foamy in apparance. Center seems dense. I read around and I think it could be yeast clumps. Its a Czech modified with kolsh yeast that I just transfered in the secondary fermeter yesterday. Primary fermentation was of 7 days. Its one of the three batches that I have on going now. Ther two others are Czech with bohemian lager yeast. Its at 10-12oC right now. Starting gravity was of 1052 and yesterday, it was at 1020. The two others are loooking very nice and started to clear up nicely. Also the two others had a starting gravity of 1062 and 1046 and yesterday they wre at 1014 and 1012 respectively.

Here's the pic:
120617DSC01025.jpg

Just reassure me a little bit guys. Please

I can't see the pic but from what you described, it sounds perfectly normal.

Looks normal to me, no real need to secondary and certainly not at 7 days, you shouldn't go to a secondary until you are at final gravity and personally only secondary for long aging, adding fruit and a couple other things.
Close it up and leave it alone for a few weeks, no peaking, patiences is a virtue:mug:

Also need help, just moved a raspberry molasses stout over to secondary and it is really sour. First time I have ever had this happen not sure if it is bad or what. Fermented out fine a little to far OG was 1068 FG 1012. Added the raspberries and molasses to boil. Everything was sanitized, did not see any type of strange behavior during fermentation just strong sour smell and taste. Any help would be great. Thanks

Back