Another IPA Help Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael.berta

Reaction score
OK so It's been a while since I brewed an IPA so I'm looking for some advise on a recipe like this:

10 Gallon Batch

Grains (set for 65% efficiency):
25 LBS American 2 row
1 LB Crystal 40
.5 LB Crystal 60
.25 LB Crystal 80
.25 LB Crystal 120

Hops:
1.50 oz Simcoe pellets 12% 90 minutes
1.50 oz Magnum pellets 13% 60 minutes
2 oz Cascade Leaf 6% dryhop 7 days

Yeast:
Nottingham

Stats:
Single infusion mash at 152 degrees for 60 minutes
OG 1.065; FG 1.015. 6.7% ABV
9 SRM
71 IBU Tinseth

Any pros or cons on the hops, grains or yeast would be great. I'm not sure why I'm only getting 65% efficiency but I'll save that for another thread.

My first question would be, why all the different crystal malts? Why not just do a mix of 40L and 120L? As for hops... more, please! I would get rid of the 90 min addition and move the Simcoe to later additions, like 10 and 5. Simcoe and Cascade go great together. I would also consider a 50/50 mix of the two (maybe 1-2 oz total) at 20 min and adding 1 oz of simcoe to your dry hop.

My first question would be, why all the different crystal malts? Why not just do a mix of 40L and 120L? As for hops... more, please! I would get rid of the 90 min addition and move the Simcoe to later additions, like 10 and 5. Simcoe and Cascade go great together. I would also consider a 50/50 mix of the two (maybe 1-2 oz total) at 20 min and adding 1 oz of simcoe to your dry hop.

Generally I've had good results doing the different crystal malts. I'm sure I could just use 40L and 120L but figured my way doesn't hurt.

More hops? It's set to 70 IBUs on a 1.065 brew. Maybe something like this instead:

use time oz variety form aa

Boil 60 mins 1.5 Magnum pellet 13.0
Boil 60 mins 1.0 Simcoe pellet 13.0
Boil 30 mins 0.5 Simcoe pellet 13.0
Boil 15 mins 0.5 Simcoe pellet 13.0
Dry hop 7 days 2.0 Cascade info leaf 5.5

That would be 74 IBU Tinseth and use the Simcoe at three different additions.

Yeah, what I meant was more later and less early. And I do like the crystal additions, I was just curious. I like the changes, but I would still dry hop with both.

Yeah, what I meant was more later and less early. And I do like the crystal additions, I was just curious. I like the changes, but I would still dry hop with both.

OK so would dry hopping a 10 gallon batch with 1oz or 2oz of Simcoe along with 2oz of Cascade be overkill on the dry hop?

I agree with the more later, less earlier idea. I typically get a majority of my IBUs from later additions (30/20/15/etc) I also like mixing my late hop additions. I don't have a program to calculate IBUs with me, but maybe something like:

1oz magnum 60
1 simcoe 30
.5 simcoe 15
.5 cascade 15
.25 simcoe 5
.25 cascade 5
.5-1 simcoe dry hop
.5-1 cascade dry hop

I say .5-1oz each for dry hop becuase I usually double dry hop my ipas and iipas so .5oz each for 1 week, then I would rack off those hops and add another .5oz of each for another 5 days then crash cool. I also usually only use one variety for bittering. just my .02

no, thats not too much dry hop

my last ipa was all simcoe, 2 oz at 30, 2 oz at 5, 2 oz at knockout, 3 ounces dry hop for a five gallon batch

too much dry hops would be like, six or seven or more ounces of high-alpha for a real hophead

keep the dry-hopping time short (less than two weeks) for best results

Back