Another IPA critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francis

Reaction score
Hey everyone - I've been disappointed with my last couple IPA's and want to give it another go. My past IPA's were bitter and really didn't showcase the flavor/aroma hops I was going for. I'm starting to suspect my water might be part of the problem, but I'm going to go down that road for the next brew (reading about it this week gave me a migraine). Here you go:

12lbs - 2 row
.50 - munich
.75 C40
.50 Carapils

.50oz Columbus at 60 (LHBS dude recommended moving this to 45)
.50 Columbus at 20
1oz chinook at 10
1oz Cascade at 5
1oz cascade at FO steep for 30
1oz chinook at FO steep for 30
1oz Calypso (my LHBS was out of centennial and suggested this) at FO steep for 30
2oz Centennial (if I can find some) DH
WLP090

Mash at 149 for 60
Batch Sparge.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks!
Chris

Are you steeping hot for 30 minutes at flame out. Ive read that the faster you can chill after you flame out addition the more enhanced the aroma will be. Ie hopbacks leading to counterflow chillers.

Recipe looks good. I'd double the five and ten min additions. Where is your water from maybe I can help. Is it from a lake or well etc.

Hey everyone - I've been disappointed with my last couple IPA's and want to give it another go. My past IPA's were bitter and really didn't showcase the flavor/aroma hops I was going for. I'm starting to suspect my water might be part of the problem, but I'm going to go down that road for the next brew (reading about it this week gave me a migraine). Here you go:

12lbs - 2 row
.50 - munich
.75 C40
.50 Carapils

.50 Columbus at 20
1oz chinook at 10
1oz Cascade at 5
1oz Calypso (my LHBS was out of centennial and suggested this) at FO steep for 30
WLP090

Mash at 149 for 60
Batch Sparge.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks!
Chris

Read all of this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/how-get-best-hop-aroma-flameout-additions-213803/

I like where you are going with your hop schedule. I do the same thing on my house IPA. I have 0.5 oz 60 minute addition then not another one until 20 minutes. I would also highly recommend dry hopping the crap out of it. I dry hop with around 3 oz and the hop aroma is amazing. I have also start doing First Wort Hopping. Although I haven't been able to distinguish the impact on my IPA yet though.

I would leave the 60 at 60 and not move it to 45. Might as well keep that your sole bittering addition. Good luck with it.

I planned on adding the 3oz at flameout and letting steep (hot) for 30min (maybe 20) then wort chiller. Should I whirlpool after chilling? I've never whirlpooled. Makes me a little nervous having the wort sit there that long after boil. I like the ideas of doubling the 5min addition and adding another oz to dry hop. Will have some hop loss but I really want some nice aroma!! Thanks for the tips!

I like that thread you posted, seems like there's some debate on the subject. I'm going to give this method a try. I read that Stone article and this is what they recommended.

Personally here is what I would change without plugging anything into beersmith...

Original -
.50 Columbus at 20
1oz chinook at 10
1oz Cascade at 5

Modified -
.50oz Columbus at 60 (LHBS dude is a fool, don't change)
.50 Columbus at 20
1oz chinook at 10
1oz cascade at 10
1oz Cascade at 5
1oz chinook at 5
2oz Centennial DH

I would move most of those FO additions to 5 minutes. I woul also add the 2oz of centennial at Fo, but I know you don't have them as of yet.

Given your goals, you would probably prefer a hop schedule closer to this:

13% hops early
8% hops middle
25% whirlpool hop steep
54% dryhop

Your palate may also not agree with the harsher hops like Columbus & Chinook. These hops can be kind of resiny and dank for the new IPA drinker. Options such as Amarillo, Cascade, Citra, or Centennial would be much lighter --more floral, citrusy, and fruity-- on the palate.

Bitter lightly at 60; perhaps 30 IBUs. Dryness can also boost the perception of bitterness, so for your goals, you may want to look into masher higher.

Lastly, be sure you are pitching the right amount of yeast starter, fermenting at the appropriate temps, and giving the yeast enough time to clean up after themselves instead of bottling 7 days after you brew. Fusel alcohols and strong, headache-inducing effects may result with improper yeast handling.

Back