Another first AG batch thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunnerMan

Reaction score
Well I did my first AG today, took me about 6 hours start to finish. :p Made BierMunchers Ode' To Arthur Irish Stout.

I came in with an brew house efficiency of about 75-76% and a into boiler efficiency of 87%. I had my recipe scaled to a 65% brew house efficiency expecting to not get much better but I guess I did pretty well.
I had my grain in the fridge and I don't think I gave it time to warm up enough so my strike water was 4 degrees lower than my target 154. I added about a 1/4 gallon more and called it good.
Did a batch sparge untill I reached about 6.4 gallons. The wort smelled and tasted so good, much better than my extract batches, I am 7 points over my target OG but this is still going to be a great beer, the extra gravity will help combat my lower mash temps(if 4 degrees is even significant).

Everything went well although I found my self scrambling around a few times. I wanted to take pictures but I was to scared id mess something up so I didn't try to.

I do have two questions: What is a reasonable time to get your boiling wort down to <80 degrees? It took me about 15 minutes with my chiller on and my kettle in a bucket of ice water. I really don't care about chill haze in my beers(for now) I am more worried about this hot side oxidation.

Also I assume I need to worry about oxidation when my wort is spraged into the kettle, I assumed so, so kept it as still as possible with the lid on. I pitched with a .5 liter starter of Wyeast Irish Ale.

Can't wait to do it again but this time, not when I get home from work. Finishing at 10 pm is kinds crappy.

You did well. Once you do a few more batches the procedure becomes more automatic and you will have enough time for photos. :)

15 minutes to cool wort is pretty good in my opinion. You shouldn't have to worry about hot side aeration once it is cooled anyway as you want to add O2 for the yeast.

I use high temp tubing to drain the mash into the kettle but even if you let it fall from the drain I bet you won't see any ill effects. Chill haze won't be a problem with a stout either. Try whirlfloc tabs, they work great.

Thanks, yeah I thought I read 20 mins to cool wort was ok but did not remember, I did have a tube on my mlt as well to drain into boiler.

My starter was made from yeast from my last batch and it was fermenting in it's starter when I pitched it, no signs of fermentation yet but I am not worried, I know the old 72 hours deal. From the looks of it my color came out a bit light, it did with me extract versions as well, next time ill add a few Oz of Black patent to darken it up but ill reserve full judgement untill it is in a glass.

Back