Another fermentation temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stig

Reaction score
Here's another rookie question but I would like clarification. When the optimum yeast temperature says to be between 65-75 degrees does that mean the temperature reading I am getting off the fermometer on my carboy or is that the temp I try to keep the room at?? As I have noticed on my last two brews the fermometer reads 5-10 degrees warmer than room temp so do I cool the room down 5-10 degrees cooler than median optimum temp (eg 70)?? Or is this being too anal???

I'm having the same issue right now with my fermentation. The room temperatore is 68F but the actual carboy is reading 78F right now. The temperature has slowly gone up as activity increased in my airlock. It's slowing down now so I'm going to see if the temperature starts to go down with activity.

Interesting. Is 10ºF above room temp normal?

If so, I think I'll place my carboy on the floor to ferment. Floor temp is about 61-62ºF, whereas room temp is about 64ºF.

stig said:
When the optimum yeast temperature says to be between 65-75 degrees does that mean the temperature reading I am getting off the fermometer on my carboy or is that the temp I try to keep the room at??

Wort temp of course, since the the yeast is living the the wort ;).

The wort/beer is ecpected to warmer than the ambient temp since fermentation generates heat which will warm it up.

Kai

You should go by the temperature of the wort and not room temperature. Usually fermentation produces some heat in the wort.

Back