another electric HLT question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
I am very intrigued by the electric HLT and am handy enough not to kill myself. What I am trying to figure out is this - if I only plan on doing 10 gallon batches, can I use a smaller element - say 1650 watt, requiring only 120V vs a 220V at 20a, will this take too long? Or better question - how long will it take about?
I brew outside and would rather not run a 220V. I can't imagine having to heat more than 10 gallons of water for high gravity 10 gallon batches.

Thoughts or comments?

Go here:
JT's Beer Home Page
and click on electric heat calculator.

It will tell you that it takes 1 hour and 49 minutes for a 1650 watt element to heat 10 gallons of 60 degree water to 180. It's up to you whether that is "too long" or not.

I think you will need more than 1650w. Perhaps you could run 2 1650w-110v elements.

Just for reference my 5500w/220v will take 13 gallons of 45 degree water to 170 in 45 Min. in an uninsulated keggle.

Two 2000 watt 120 volt elements will reduce that time substantially. Ten gallons of sparge water can be taken from tap temp to boil in less than an hour. I use two 2000w 120v elements from two 120v circuits. Works great!

Latest posts

Back