Another Dry Hop Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetAF

Reaction score
Fairly new to AG brewing. Simple equipment - nothing like a hop rocket.

Making a CDA at the moment. Five hop additions during the boil, and one coming up in secondary. The only method I have available, as far as I know, is to simply drop hop pellets into the carboy, let them sit for a week, as per directions, then rack the beer off to another carboy to let it settle further and clear. Then I'll bottle this one. Have a kegerator setup here at the house, but think I want to bottle this one, so to enjoy it a bit longer.

First question - will the method of dry hopping I have proposed be adequate? Will my plan be enough to then remove the hops from the finished product?

Next Question: should I plan to add more yeast during bottling - something I have never done? The relatively few batches that I have bottled are usually in to bottle at about 4 weeks. Never had a problem with inadequate carbonation. This batch will be about 6 weeks before going into the bottle. Will my yeast still be adequately active, or should I plan to add more?

The yeast will still be fine after 6 weeks. Even if you cold crash to get the hops to clear...it'll still carb fine in the bottles.

First, you don't have to rack off of the hops into another vessel. If you dry hop in the primary, then do it the last week that you were going to primary anyway and then bottle. OR, rack to secondary and then dry hop for a week there and go to bottles.

No need to add yeast unless you really want to. I've bottled after 53 days and still had adequate carbonation in a week, so you should be fine good sir.

Back