Another downside of normalcy bias....?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dland

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Most of us are affected at some level by the current threat to health, economy, and/or the reactions to the threats. Things are pretty weird huh? No doubt most of us figure things will get back to normal, at some point. A common hope and somewhat not unreasonable expectation, to be sure..

It is also possible the "other shoe will drop", for some it already has. Could come in many forms, be it worldwide, nation wide, local, or personal,... one at a time, or all at once. And just because there is one shoe down, and the other shoe drops, does not mean there will not be a third one, heck,... could be a friggin centipede.

If today was more or less similar to yesterday, it does not mean tomorrow will be on same path. Lot to learn about what happens to everything over time, looking at the last several thousand years of our species history; ways of life taken for granted because it was that way for a generation or five, just to be obliterated, except for a few bones and the stone parts of the infrastructure..

So what? Advice?, I don't know diddly, but maybe appreciate any good stuff , in the moment if possible, and at least prepare to do what you might try to do if current status of events took another turn.

Anyway, hope everyone is doing OK tonight , recon I posted in right part of forum.. {;

there's another thread like this, but you have to pay to play......(really just means everyone is allowed to cuss each other out, lol)

and honestly, i'd gift you a paid subcription just so you could understand why i'd ask, "how many ounces of disinfecting silver rings do you own?" ;) i know you watch me s.o.b's...lol :mug: or two, maybe 6 :mug:

I'll answer that; I have zero ounces of silver rings, disinfecting or otherwise. I do know there are some people who think ingesting silver will cure them of something or other, and turns their skin a weird color. Silver does have some anti microbial properties, and a silver alloy is used in some spa and pool filtration equipment, but the downside to some of those systems is they also can add other metals to the water which can produce an allergic reaction. Not sure about the wisdom of even investing in silver, but at least it is not an irrational choice.

I may add comment to your sometimes amusing posts, but rest assured I am not watching you. Beer emoji to you too!

the more I drink, the less I care, but..

Personally, I wonder to myself how history books fifty, a hundred years from now will describe this period in human history. A major turning point in the understanding of personal space? the end of co-habitation and urban population centers? will there even be anyone left to publish history books?

Also, in a post-truth, science, and information society, what even is a history book? a disjointed stream of alternative facts? Maybe we should have to use the term with quotes. "History", "science", etc.. What will become of the concept of truth when one can freely and without repercussions simply dismiss any fact that conflicts with a contemporary world view?

Man, you guys that think we're going through something unique should have a closer look at history. You can look at the US and see similar events, and you can look at world history and see that it's just a cyclical pattern all societies go through. Thank god HBT is the only social media I'm on... I have a feeling Tweeter and Facepost etc just make it all 10x worse.

Anyway, as long as I don't pay too much attention to the news, I feel fine : )

That was one of the trains of thought I thought I'd alluded to in original drunken ramble, but perhaps too obliquely. Things could get lots worse, but things will go on, etc. For instance, the great depression followed by WW2, a time which also included numerous local cataclysms, such as the hurricane of '38, in my local area. Historic geopolitical extremes playing out at the same time.

I never did participate in any social media either, unless you count a few interest forums like this. Though I admit this is the only one where there is much in the way of off topic threads. As for news, I stopped listening as well, not out of dread, but due to shear monotony. Listening to science and history presentations instead,. The history ones do tend to remind how much is taken for granted though. Usually the pendulum swings wide, but sometimes the clock falls over.

Silver does work, i have used it for eye and ear infections but like you i have zero rings.

Latest posts

Back