Another Corny CO2 Leak Thread (pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menschmaschine

Reaction score
Got some new (used) kegs. Just transferred beer to one and it leaks. After finally pinpointing the leak, I've found it's at the Out post, but it's the base of the post where it is permanently attached (welded on the inside?) to the keg. I had to trim a little rubber around the post base to see it leaking. Any thoughts on how to seal? JB Weld?... on the inside or outside of the keg?

Well, time to sanitize another keg and transfer the beer again.:mad:

KegLeak.jpg

Know anyone with a Tig Welder? The rubber will sufer from the heat of welding though. I think I'd try the JB weld first... That's a bummer of a place for a leak

Dealing with leaks on a pressurized vessel would be a no no in my book. Send back and skip the JB Weld. They should just send you another keg and tell you to trash that one or turn it into a planter.

Dealing with leaks on a pressurized vessel would be a no no in my book. Send back and skip the JB Weld. They should just send you another keg and tell you to trash that one or turn it into a planter.

I agree whole heartedly. The pressure vessel isn't something to fool around with. I was just thinking that if you normally pressurize it to say 12-15 psi...and you have a pinhole leak that's a miniscule fraction of a square inch. Divide the surface area of the leak into the 15 psi...and you see how many pounds of force are actually applied to it. Heck a few coats of nail polish on the outside...let dry before pressurizing...may seal a pinhole that small.

Email sent to KegConnection.

The transfer from one keg to another wasn't pretty. I don't have an auto-siphon and I didn't have tubing of a suitable length to get a good siphon going. I'll be surprised if it doesn't get infected... or taste like ass from oxidation. That'll be 5 gallons of one of my best tasting Helles down the drain.:mad:

Email sent to KegConnection.

The transfer from one keg to another wasn't pretty. (clip) :

An autosiphon is a great thing to have...

Another addition to consider down the road is a jumper made from vinyl product hose and 2 liquid keg connectors. I made one with a filter inline for filtering my Sparkling Ciders...

[img=http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2438/oct3020078.th.jpg]

If I had it to do again...I'd put 1/4 FFL connectors on it so I could swap connectors easily.

I have another that does TailPiece & Beer Nut to Liquid Pinlock...for transfering the ends of a commercial Keg product into my corny's...

Procedure...Flush your empty reciever keg with CO2 with the lid cracked...bleed the pressure of your donor keg. Attach your co2 with the pressure dialed way down to the donor keg...and then slowly increase the pressure on the donor keg to get the desired transfer rate. Disconnect the Liquid Line on the reciever keg as soon as you see bubbles in the line (donor keg empty)... Close the Lid on the reciever keg tightly...and pressurize to storage PSI.

No oxidation...CO2 powered transfer.

Procedure...Flush your empty reciever keg with CO2 with the lid cracked...bleed the pressure of your donor keg. Attach your co2 with the pressure dialed way down to the donor keg...and then slowly increase the pressure on the donor keg to get the desired transfer rate. Disconnect the Liquid Line on the reciever keg as soon as you see bubbles in the line (donor keg empty)... Close the Lid on the reciever keg tightly...and pressurize to storage PSI.
I think it's better to seal the lid on the receiver keg, purge and vent via relief valve like you would a filled keg, and then bleed the pressure from the receiver keg also using the relief valve. Doing it this way you don't even have to mess with the pressure...you can just just leave it at your serving pressure and let both kegs equalize...then slowly vent the relief valve on the receiver keg.

Also, even if you can't fully pressurize the kegs you can still siphon using the same rig...just a little boost in the donor keg to get it going and it should siphon.

Don't they ship those kegs pressurized mensch?
And are you 100% sure it's actually the welded post that is leaking and not from under the post fitting (i.e. the fitting that you screw onto the post)? I trust it is but...well...had to ask.:)

i have a keg I got off a guy on cl that had the same issue. I used jb weld on it but I only plan on using it as a fermenter/bulk aging vessel I would not try to serve out of it.

i have a keg I got off a guy on cl that had the same issue. I used jb weld on it but I only plan on using it as a fermenter/bulk aging vessel I would not try to serve out of it.

That's a good thought if I end up stuck with it. Did you put the JB Weld on the inside of the keg at the post hole or the outside around the post?

Just my $0.02. I've never purchased anything from KegConnection but have read good things about them here on HBT. I can't imagine you'll have any issues with exchanging it.

Just an update for your situation, we are sending you a replacement keg today rather than just a replacement post! Sorry for your troubles, please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you!

Cheers,

Joshua

Don't they ship those kegs pressurized mensch?
And are you 100% sure it's actually the welded post that is leaking and not from under the post fitting (i.e. the fitting that you screw onto the post)? I trust it is but...well...had to ask.:)

Yeah, but this one wasn't pressurized. I didn't think much of it at the time. It's definitely the welded post. I held a mirror inside the keg underneath it and can see the crack.

No worries though. KegConnection is kindly sending a replacement as Joshua states above. They are a classy outfit.:)

Next time try us for kegs....that don't leak!

Sure, that's what they all say.:D

There's only 1 major keg supplier I've seen bashed on this site and your's isn't it. My overall experience with KegConnection and that of many others on this forum is good and, in most cases, excellent. Nothing wrong with some healthy competition, right?

Before making my purchase, I looked at your site and calculated the price with shipping. You costed significantly more when it was getting shipped to the east coast from CA vs. TX. So, for me, it was mostly a bottom-line decision with a little bit of customer loyalty thrown in since I've had good experiences with them in the past.

Back