Another Cool Hand Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cool Hand

Reaction score
I just took my first gravity reading on my Amber ale extract kit brew and it was 1.019 @ 60F. It's been in the primary for 6 days @ 56F with 2 days of strong bubbles through the airlock. When I opened up the primary the was a 2-3 inch layer of residue on the sides and some floating "stuff" on top. I didn't take an SG but the listed range is 1.042-1.044, the listed FG is 1.010-1.012. Does this seem right to you guys and can I rack to the secondary tommorrow? Thanks.

Any reason your fermenting at 56c, it seems a bit low for standard ale yeast.
1019 is bit high but you can go to secondary if you want to?
Any need to rush it?

Cool Hand said:
I just took my first gravity reading on my Amber ale extract kit brew and it was 1.019 @ 60F. It's been in the primary for 6 days @ 56F with 2 days of strong bubbles through the airlock. When I opened up the primary the was a 2-3 inch layer of residue on the sides and some floating "stuff" on top. I didn't take an SG but the listed range is 1.042-1.044, the listed FG is 1.010-1.012. Does this seem right to you guys and can I rack to the secondary tommorrow? Thanks.

Sounds to me that you're too a bit too much on the high side. I see you're temp if 56F, what yeast are you using? You might consider moving the fermenter to a room that's in the mid/upper 60s and see if fermentation increases. You've only attenuated to 57% and at least mid/upper 60 % range is common for most low attenuating yeasts. If you rack too soon, and without all the information your brew, I would say you're in that boat, you could get a stuck fermentation (a beer that doesn't get close to it's final gravity). And if you bottle a stuck fermentation and the temperature of the bottles goes up some you could end up restarting fermentation resulting in bottle bombs.

Cool Hand said:
When I opened up the primary the was a 2-3 inch layer of residue on the sides and some floating "stuff" on top.

That's krausen. It means it's not done. When it is done, most (if not all) of the krausen will disappear.

Due to global warming I forgot it was winter and decided to place the fermenter in my basement where the air temp is about 56F. I was thinking that the temp down there would be about 60-65 but thats usually in the summertime. There have been no noticable bubbles since tuesday, can it continue fermenting after a layoff like that? Last night I moved it upstairs so I guess I'll wait a little longer. There is no hurry except that I wanted to brew another batch this weekend! Once it has been racked to the secondary can that be kept in a temp that low or should it stay upstairs too?

No it'll be fine. If it doesn't pick up give it a jiggle to get some of the yeast back in suspension. It should pick up. If not you could always repitch (probably not need to though)

Sounds good, thanks guys. I have an unused bathroom in my place so I have relocated my brew to there with the thermostat jacked up a bit. I'll follow up and let you know how I made out.

Well after only 5 hrs into the above mentioned situation I am happy to report that my airlock has resumed bubbling at a one per every 20-30 sec clip. Is there anything I should look for next or just wait a day and take another reading?

I'd let it go another couple days without disturbing it. Sounds like you still had a lot of krausen, which means that you aren't quite done yet. Give it time to not only finish fermenting, but also to mellow out a bit before racking. You can leave it in the primary for a long time, a lot longer than people expect, so I'd leave it be. No need to open it every day, that's just one more opportunity for an infection.

Sarcasm... I was involved in that thread. :D

Just trying to understand, logistically... it's either an a**, or a c*nt... how can it be both?

See, it's really kind of an existential question, can I be both an a** and a c*nt at the same time, and how would I know that I am? How can I know myself if I don't know if I'm an a** or a c*nt?

Probably time to stop drinking... :cross:

the_bird said:
See, it's really kind of an existential question, can I be both an a** and a c*nt at the same time, and how would I know that I am? How can I know myself if I don't know if I'm an a** or a c*nt?
Bird, you are an a**. You are not a c*nt. Period. Existential crisis averted. :D

:off: I'm thinking A--C--t is either a conjoined twin thing or possibly a hermephridite kinda deal.:off:
/shrug
WTF do I know though I'm just a paramedic not a doctor:ban:

Wait to rack to the secondary until there is 1 bubble every 90 seconds or so. Like Orfy said, it will pick up once it starts to warm up to the optimal temperature. Don't rush it into the secondary, just be patient.

Well, it's been a couple of days for my primary after moving it to a warmer location. There were bubbles appearing at about a rate of one per 20-30sec and it has since slowed considerably so I opened it up to take another reading. It was 1.019-1.020, unchanged. There was less krausen floating but there was still a little bit left. Is there a need to re-pitch? Can I rack to the secondary? Or should I let it sit in the primary longer? The only reason I'm anxious is because I'd like to have the primary empty for another brew.

Cool Hand said:
Due to global warming I forgot it was winter and decided to place the fermenter in my basement where the air temp is about 56F. I was thinking that the temp down there would be about 60-65 but thats usually in the summertime. There have been no noticable bubbles since tuesday, can it continue fermenting after a layoff like that? Last night I moved it upstairs so I guess I'll wait a little longer. There is no hurry except that I wanted to brew another batch this weekend! Once it has been racked to the secondary can that be kept in a temp that low or should it stay upstairs too?

You need more fermenters. You shouldn't try to rush your beer. It has it's own schedule.

I know, I ordered a 2nd secondary thinking that would be the more time consuming stage. Shoulda added another primary to that.

I thought about that, but then where would I rack to for secondary? Anyways, I should probably just seal it back up and wait rather than repitching or further messing with it?

Thanks boo boo, yet another lesson learned. When working with limited equipment, throw the schedule out the window! I guess I'll go order another primary now, all I wanted to do was get my stout going so it's ready for St. Pats!

One last question, for now, should I stir the primary or re-pitch yeast? I don't want to end up with a stuck fermentation and have the same gravity reading next weekend.

You just brought it to a warmer location, right? So, gently swirl it a bit to rouse the yeast, and leave it alone for a while. Do not stir or otherwise aerate it. Keep it where it is until the krausen falls completely and the bubbles stop. Then check the s.g. and move it to secondary if it's about done.

Lorena

Thanks for the second opinion, I guess I just need to relax and have a home...er make that a commercial brew since this is my first batch.

All right now I think something ain't right. I think I have a stuck fermentation, I just took another reading @ 1.020. It's been 12 days now in the primary and 3 identical readings over the course of the last week. Where do I go from here? Should I re pitch the yeast? Is it too late to save this brew?

Latest posts

Back