Another CO2 Leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bken620

Reaction score
So I'm new to kegging like everyone else who writes a post like this is, but after searching and searching I can't find the answer to this.

So I have a CO2 leak, and obviously I'm not sure where it's coming from, when I first setup my system I sprayed all of the connections with with star san and didn't see any leaks. I have a permanent washer between my tank and my regulator.

I turned off my check valve immediately connected to my regulator, turned on my CO2, turned the set screw up to 10 PSI, turned off the CO2 and turned the set screw back as if it were at 0 PSI. The low side gauge read 10 PSI, then after about 12 Hours (this morning) it read 8 PSI, now 12 hours later it's reading 6 PSI. Anyone have any ideas?

On a side note if I turn off the CO2 but leave the set screw at 10 PSI, it stays at 10 PSI.

Here's a picture of my setups:
IMG_5322.jpg

Doesn't sound like a leak at all. Your CO2 is coming out when your set screw is backed out to zero. That's where the CO2 is coming out.

Doesn't sound like a leak at all. Your CO2 is coming out when your set screw is backed out to zero. That's where the CO2 is coming out.

Okay, because when I was looking up co2 leaks causes and effects, one website said to start at the regulator and do exactly that, bring back the set screw. So you think I'm good?

what is your hose connected to? a keg? closed end?

EDIT: Not Keg, CO2 tank (I am doing this from my phone and it's not posting correctly, sorry)

Closed end, but the check valve is shut off. The reason I'm asking is I kegged to corny a week later left for vacation and came back to an empty CO2 tank, though I've since replaced the check valve directly off of the regulator

Why would you back off the set screw? That sets the pressure, if you back it off it will bleed down to what you have it set to. If you have it connected to a keg then the beer is absorbing the co2, which is normal until it absorbs it and then is used to serve it.

I'm with maazak I don't think you have a leak.

Edit: I just reread your last post, I don't understand how was your keg empty or your co2 tank? It could be a super small leak and takes a lot of time to bleed off.

Why would you back off the set screw? That sets the pressure, if you back it off it will bleed down to what you have it set to. If you have it connected to a keg then the beer is absorbing the co2, which is normal until it absorbs it and then is used to serve it.

I'm with maazak I don't think you have a leak.

Edit: I just reread your last post, I don't understand how was your keg empty or your co2 tank? It could be a super small leak and takes a lot of time to bleed off.

I was reading a leak test article over at micromatic, and now that I'm rereading it, I read it wrong. It says to back off the set screw and if the high side pressure drops, then you have an issue, my high side pressure was not dropping, but I read it as my low pressure side.

Here's the article, go down 5 paragraphs: http://www.micromatic.com/keg-beer-blog/index.php/131/kegerator-leak-detection/

Though I still have a leak somewhere, my co2 tank emptied in 2 weeks while only carbing 2 cornys.

I was reading a leak test article over at micromatic, and now that I'm rereading it, I read it wrong. It says to back off the set screw and if the high side pressure drops, then you have an issue, my high side pressure was not dropping, but I read it as my low pressure side.

Here's the article, go down 5 paragraphs: http://www.micromatic.com/keg-beer-blog/index.php/131/kegerator-leak-detection/

Though I still have a leak somewhere, my co2 tank emptied in 2 weeks while only carbing 2 cornys.

Ok then yes you do have a leak, it's a really small one if it took that long to bleed down. I have used star San like you but a leak that small may require a dish soap mixture that stuff foams up with just the smallest bit applied. I would double check with that, double check all your connections and hose clamps and also that it's not the gas in o ring on the kegs.

EDIT: Not Keg, CO2 tank (I am doing this from my phone and it's not posting correctly, sorry)

Closed end, but the check valve is shut off. The reason I'm asking is I kegged to corny a week later left for vacation and came back to an empty CO2 tank, though I've since replaced the check valve directly off of the regulator

Ok, I got you now, my bad. So the pressure drops even as the check-valve in the photo is closed?
Then the leak is between the regulator and the check-valve.

So it must be: Either regulator, check-valve, hose or any connections between the hose and the check-valve/regulator.

Leak may be too slow to detect using usual methods (spraying or putting it under water).

I would disassemble it, and put it together, maybe use some lube or sealing tape, and then test again.

Does the same thing happen if you close the valve on the tank but keep the set screw in the same position?

FWIW... not all regulators will bleed off any pressure just by turning the regulators valve counter clockwise. The gauge on these regulators are measuring line pressure, and regardless of reducing the input setting of the regulator that line pressure is still there until its released down stream.

Also just throwing this out there, you may know this already. Make sure that you open the tank valve all the way open until it's screwed open tight. A lot of tanks will leak from the valve if it is not open all the way, or closed all the way tight also when not in use. Just trying to give some suggestions to try.....

John

If you still suspect a leak. Submerge the whole setup in water and check for bubbles. It should be obvious then.

If you still suspect a leak. Submerge the whole setup in water and check for bubbles. It should be obvious then.

Well, once the gauges and the regulator bonnet fill with water, anyway ;)
btw, It's not uncommon for gauges to use pressed paper faces...

Cheers!

Also just throwing this out there, you may know this already. Make sure that you open the tank valve all the way open until it's screwed open tight. A lot of tanks will leak from the valve if it is not open all the way, or closed all the way tight also when not in use. Just trying to give some suggestions to try.....

John

No I did not know this... Thank you! I will make sure it's all the way open and then see if that fixes it.

FWIW... not all regulators will bleed off any pressure just by turning the regulators valve counter clockwise. The gauge on these regulators are measuring line pressure, and regardless of reducing the input setting of the regulator that line pressure is still there until its released down stream.

So you think it could be in the regulator itself?

Back