Another CO2 Leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerofgeorge

Reaction score
I thought I had my leak fixed but this morning I found my 15 lb CO2 tank almost empty :mad:.

I have a flare fitting on the line coming from my regulator and then a swivel nut on the line going to the kegs. When I first hooked this up, I lost a 5 lb tank. Then I realized that I might need a little plastic MFL washer. I got this and no issues for a few weeks. This morning I opened my keezer to an almost empty tank and I could hear the CO2 leaking from the flare connection.

First of all, any idea why this would all of the sudden leak? I haven't touched anything in my keezer since I hooked up the tank. If it was leaking the entire time, it would have to be a very slow leak that eventually got bigger (I never heard anything leaking until today).

Second, is there something else I need to keep this from leaking? I thought the plastic washer would do the trick.

I would recommend preparing a solution of soap and water in a spray bottle, then spray it on all of your connections...looking for bubbles...this will help you find and/all leaks. From there I would make sure that you use gas pipe tape for all connections and that they are tight.

Screw the spray bottle. Take the assembly into the bathroom and test it in the bath tub.

I was dealing with leaks, finally found it and fixed it. 2 weeks later, beer is still pouring perfectly. The next day? Nada. Zip. Turns out that an o-ring on my gas in post broke somehow and emptied the tank 'right now'.

I feel for you. Tracking down these leaks suck and losing a bottle or 2 of gas freaking sucks.

BendBrewer said:
Screw the spray bottle. Take the assembly into the bathroom and test it in the bath tub.

I was dealing with leaks, finally found it and fixed it. 2 weeks later, beer is still pouring perfectly. The next day? Nada. Zip. Turns out that an o-ring on my gas in post broke somehow and emptied the tank 'right now'.

I feel for you. Tracking down these leaks suck and losing a bottle or 2 of gas freaking sucks.

Man that would be fun for my 100lbs cylinder....lol... Wonder if it would fit in the tub :)

BendBrewer said:
Well get some of those girls to help you out!

No doubt!! one thing I do like to suggest to people that like to try to depend on gauges to determine how much gas they have and help to figure out if their leaking too much is to get a old bath scale from the thrift store and write down the beginning weight and leave the cylinder on it... That's the only way I can tell because your not going to see me picking mine up and shaking it around...lol...

Thanks for the replies. I'll try the Starsan to see if there's another leak somewhere. I took out the flare fitting where I know it was leaking for now. I really need to get a manifold and better setup. Multiple T's just gives too many places for leaks.

summerofgeorge said:
Thanks for the replies. I'll try the Starsan to see if there's another leak somewhere. I took out the flare fitting where I know it was leaking for now. I really need to get a manifold and better setup. Multiple T's just gives too many places for leaks.

If you have a harbor freight tools by you, they have a 3 way manifold for $6.00

Back