Another co2 leak thread, but i swear this time its different :-\

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueGoose85

Reaction score
its probably not, but ive searched high and low.

I have a leak, draining quick. Today I sprayed starsan all over everything, and noticed that my gas in poppet was bubbling up, thus leaking out gas.

Fiddling around with it (the keg is full), i was able to get it to 'lock in' appropriately.

Now, having the DQ on the keg, the poppet is going to be depressed naturally.

So, i have to ask: Did i really find the source of my leak? My thought is that since the poppet will be depressed anyways when the DQ is attached, why would it matter if it was leaking?

Doesn't matter unless you're aging in a keg...you won't drain your tank with the way you say it's leaking.

If your tank drains, you have another leak somewhere (could even be quick disconnect)

With the QD, how would i go about checking that? Just spraying it?

Would lubing the hell out of the post and o ring help in the case it is the QD?

Spray the qd, the pressure release, and check your tank to regulator to hose connections...if you're losing gas, it happens at the tank to reg connection often.

Go buy a new garbage can to submerge everything (except maybe the gauges of the reg, unless you're really frustrated). Cheaper then filling a tank and it makes it obvious. Mine was the pressure relief valve of a keg that sometimes wouldn't leak, but with a tap bubbles came out -- hard to see with just a spray bottle.

Good luck

with more research, im finding out that the o ring supplied with my keg may be too thin to create a snug fit with the QD. so the littlest of position changes with the QD can make it leak...Could be hitting the ceiling of my fridge and causing a leak.

Im going to get some new o rings, and try that. I swear i sprayed everything down wet, and nothing... what a pain

Was just about to post check your o rings. They wont easily show up with soapy water due to their orientation. If you can make them hiss with a wiggle, then NFG. Pin lock?

Go buy a new garbage can to submerge everything (except maybe the gauges of the reg, unless you're really frustrated). Cheaper then filling a tank and it makes it obvious. Mine was the pressure relief valve of a keg that sometimes wouldn't leak, but with a tap bubbles came out -- hard to see with just a spray bottle.

Good luck

This ^^^

with more research, im finding out that the o ring supplied with my keg may be too thin to create a snug fit with the QD. so the littlest of position changes with the QD can make it leak...Could be hitting the ceiling of my fridge and causing a leak.

Im going to get some new o rings, and try that. I swear i sprayed everything down wet, and nothing... what a pain

Pin lock kegs? The post o-rings for pin lock and ball lock are so close in size that many places that sell kegs simply use the ball lock size for both types. The pin lock o-rings should be a little larger, and using the smaller o-rings can result in the issue you're describing. Using keg lube will help create a better seal also.

yes pin lock :( thanks everyone, seems like that may be my issue. Just ordered some pin lock post o rings from williams brewing, saw in an earlier thread the guy had good luck with the green ones.

Silly that they would sell a keg with wrong o rings, especially if its a known issue...

I will use tons of lube, tired of running out of tanks

Just want to update this for anyone else having similar issues...

It was most certainly the o-ring/QD for the post (pin lock). I believe it was getting nudged when I was putting it in the fridge. As a result, i lubed the HELL out of the post/oring, and was extra careful in putting the keg in the fridge. Also, i did end up ordering the green orings from williams brewing to make sure no corners were cut.

Whereas i would see signs of leak after just hours in there, its now been 24+ hours, and not the slightest sign of leak.

Thanks everyone for their ideas and thoughts.

Back