ANOTHER citra/cascade IPA thread

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

1Mainebrew

Reaction score
Hey all,

I wanted to make a small 2.5 gallon test batch using citra and cascade to see how they meld. I've never used either hop- I know, I'm ashamed. I bought 1 oz of citra that I thought about using 0.5 oz for the 60 min addition, and 0.5 oz for a 5 or 10 minute addition and 2 oz of cascade for a 2 minute or flameout addition. This is just a test batch, so I can move things around as needed as advised. I also have a couple oz of tettnang, hallertau and some wild homegrown hops at my disposal if this is a terrible idea. I was going for a citrusy, LIGHTLY fruity IPA. I am just going to blow through a 3 lb bag of amber DME for this test batch. I'm not wasting grain and hops for something I don't like.

Any ideas or suggestions for the citra/cascade combo and where I should put each addition?

Thehopguy

Reaction score
Ive heard that citra is best when used for late additions, and can add a funky flavor when used for bittering. If it was me, id use the citra for late additions and/or dryhopping.

amingo

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd swap the hops in your schedule and do Cascade at 60 and 10 and Citra at 5 or flameout. You'll get more citrus/fruitiness that way. Citra is a light but present aroma that dissipates quickly. Drink as soon as possible.

Let us know how it turns out. Cheers!

OP

1Mainebrew

Reaction score
So howabout:

1 oz cascade 60 mins = 40 ibus
0.5 oz cascade 20 mins = 12 ibus
0.5 oz cascade 10 mins = 7 ibus
1 oz citra dry hop 7 days

=59 ibus

Or should I add 0.5 oz of the citra for flameout in the boil and 0.5 oz for dry hops? Thoughts?

amingo

Reaction score
1Mainebrew said:
So howabout:

1 oz cascade 60 mins = 40 ibus
0.5 oz cascade 20 mins = 12 ibus
0.5 oz cascade 10 mins = 7 ibus
1 oz citra dry hop 7 days

=59 ibus

Or should I add 0.5 oz of the citra for flameout in the boil and 0.5 oz for dry hops? Thoughts?
Dry hop only sounds perfect. I used 2oz of Citra as a dry hop only in an Imperial IPA and it was really nice. I dry hopped for 14 days but 7 days with 1 oz might do the trick considering yours isn't an imperial.

prosserbrewer

Reaction score
+1 on the Citra for Dry hopping. We made a great one last year using Simcoe, Sorachi Ace, and Citra using S04. It started off as a NB Ranger clone from a BYO magazine recipe and then my brew buddies and I swapped out the hops. Added the Citra at 15min and then also dry hopped with Citra (It was close to a pound of whole leaf hops per 6 gallons). The Citra aroma and taste sticks around for awhile but was best in the first 2-3 months IMHO.

Naggs

Reaction score
I would tell the OP to go ahead and go for it. I would have to check my hop schedule when I get home, but I used citra earlier and finished with cascade before dry hopping with both in a pale ale and it turned out awesome! Lots of big citrus notes.

mewithstewpid

Reaction score
definitely dry hop with citra. it is simply delightful!

i did do an all-citra pale ale, but for 5gal i only did a 60min boil with .25oz citra. The flavor an aroma of this hop really make it ideal more for late additions/dryhop

OP

1Mainebrew

Reaction score
Should I bitter this with columbus instead? Then add the cascade as late additions?

BrewMU

Reaction score
Citra works fine for bittering, but why waste it? If you have a high alpha hop on hand, use that, save the Citra (which will go fantastically well with Cascade).

Piratwolf

Reaction score
BrewMU said:
Citra works fine for bittering, but why waste it? If you have a high alpha hop on hand, use that, save the Citra (which will go fantastically well with Cascade).
I've read on here that some ppl get a soapy flavor from Citra in bittering role. Just sayin'.

OP

1Mainebrew

Reaction score
I'm pretty well sold on not using it as a bittering hop, and using it as a late addition or dry hop.

OP

1Mainebrew

Reaction score
Ok, so whatabout changing things up as I just got a lb of columbus in the mail so I would like to use some of that too.

0.5 oz CTZ- 60 min
0.5 oz Cascade 10
0.25 oz CTZ 10 min
0.5 oz Citra 2 min
0.5 oz Cascade 2 mins
0.5 oz Citra dry hop 7 days
0.5 oz Cascade dry hop 7 days
0.5 oz CTZ dry hop 7 days????

Thoughts, input?

Piratwolf

Reaction score
Looks like a solid backbone of bitter carrying a big, citrusy taste & aroma of deliciousness to me!

Robin0782

Reaction score
Since you only have 1 oz of Citra, I would use it all for dry hopping personally. Along with 1 oz Cascade. I suppose you could do .5oz Cascade and .5oz Columbus, but I like to keep things simple. I would suggest dry hopping with just 2 oz of Citra if you had it.

OP

1Mainebrew

Reaction score
Ok so

0.5 oz CTZ 60 min
0.5 oz Cascade 10 min
0.25 oz CTZ 10 min
0.5 oz Cascade 2 min
0.25 oz CTZ 2 min
1oz Citra dry hop
1oz Cascade dry hop

???

Reaction score
How did it come out?
I have citra and cascade leaf and 5 gal of IIPA (1.105 OG) with the following hop sched:
2 oz chinook 60 min
2 oz chinook 30 min
2 oz chinook 15 min
3 oz 7c falconer flight @ 0 min
and planning 1 oz citra and 2 oz cascade for dry hop

Curious to know how your citra / cascade dry hop blend tasted.