Another Bar Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice work here! This puts my first bar to shame, granted I was younger and only had a meager allowance to work with. I ended up with a bunch of plywood cut with a handsaw and nailed together with spraypaint graffiti for aesthetic purposes with nothing but an old coleman cooler and a few shelves for mixers behind. It got the job done though, for our small get togethers in my friends garage. But for real, great job, can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I got the tile done this weekend, just finished grouting (sanded grey mix from Lowes).

One word of advise. Layout your tile in advance and make all your cuts. Oh, and start in the corner. Obviously I didn't, and it could have looked better. But its done. No turning back now. Here it is mocked up with the trim.

IMG_0967.jpg

Next decision is whether to use epoxy/liquid nails for the trim or to just use screws (either wood filler or leave them exposed)

I would have started at the L-corner, instead of 45degree seam with dozens of cuts

I would have started at the L-corner, instead of 45degree seam with dozens of cuts

yepp totally agree. Although I still would have made the 6 miter cuts, they would have matched up all the grout lines instead of the oddball one I got. O well you live and learn I guess.

I'm going back and forth on my (hopefully) soon to be bar. trying to decide between keezer or fridge chamber like yours. have you had any time to see how well it holds temp with the larger space? I was hoping to get 3, maybe even 4 under mine, but the freezers seem to tall, and the fridges seem too underpowered.
thoughts?

I'm going back and forth on my (hopefully) soon to be bar. trying to decide between keezer or fridge chamber like yours. have you had any time to see how well it holds temp with the larger space? I was hoping to get 3, maybe even 4 under mine, but the freezers seem to tall, and the fridges seem too underpowered.
thoughts?

I have had absolutely no issues keeping temps in my space. The effieciency/cycle time thing may or may not be another issue... I think it is still up for debate how much long term damage is done with these type of builds. I know for a fact the compressor runs more often (see the calculation earlier in the thread). Its common sense that the cold box fridge is going to die before the non-modded one. Whether thats in 2 years or 20 years? We'll have to wait and see! One suggestion would be to always try to make sure your kegs are at least chilled before you add them. This reduces the amount of work the fridge needs to put out to get down to temp.

To me, if money wasnt a consideration, and I didnt get this fridge for 75 bucks new, I would probably go for the keezer, simply for the added level of comfort knowing your freezer wont blow anytime soon.

I could easily fit 5 maybe 6 cornies in my bar. And the bar measures roughly 42 inches to the top. It wasnt easy getting that low with the fridge. Dunno how it would be with a keezer.

Thanks for the kind words everyone... If I could just motivate myself to finish the backbar I would be a happy man. I guess maybe I shouldnt have installed the taps until after the whole thing was complete. A couple pints after work and I'm just ready to go to bed lately. Or drink a couple more!

Ha! I was going to say something earlier in the thread when I noticed you're in Tuscaloosa!

<-------JEALOUS!!! (not of being from Tuscaloosa, or a Bama Fan, but of going to the game!) I try to go to away games when I can, but I couldnt justify the 13 hour drive to the wife, and didnt want to think about getting through the airports during the weekend of 9/11...

Thanks HB. I love your avatar. Looks a little like the baby from The Hangover!

So this bar has successfully been through the rigors of multiple parties so far, and I still havent completed the back bar. Someone convince me that its a better idea to get that done instead of starting other projects (or just drinking from the taps)!

Great build. As to your back bar area and counter tops I might recommend getting sheets of the heavy duty plastic they make cutting boards out of. I think you can find it at Home Depot. Do the whole back bar out of this and you can cut on it, spill, whatever. Also it is super tough; I've seen it used for skid plates on vehicles. Just measure it out and caulk it in and it would be perfect. Just a thought.

Very nice build! I wasn't sure how the corrugated tin was gonna look when I first started reading, but it fits right in.

Great build. As to your back bar area and counter tops I might recommend getting sheets of the heavy duty plastic they make cutting boards out of. I think you can find it at Home Depot. Do the whole back bar out of this and you can cut on it, spill, whatever. Also it is super tough; I've seen it used for skid plates on vehicles. Just measure it out and caulk it in and it would be perfect. Just a thought.

I have thought about this, are you talking about the FRB board? Or is it something thicker? I don't remember seeing anything else at HD like that but i'll look next time in there. Thanks for the kind words and advice!

So I did finally use white FRP board on the back bar. We had a New Years Eve party and I couldnt stand seeing all the beer and drinks spilled on the raw plywood (there were already a few spots where mildew was starting to form).

I'll try to take some pics when I get a chance, but so far it is working fairly well.

I like your home built poker table topper. My friend and I built one of those too.

Thanks timbudtwo, I actually built that when I was a junior in high school. We used to play almost every week, that was back in the WPT/WSOP days. I guess people still play poker. It only gets used a couple times a year now.

Here's some recent pics of the bar "in action":

IMG_1007.png

IMG_1013.png

It sits 6 to 7 comfortably in the stools and often another 2 or 3 behind bar (tenders are not always as good looking as the pic, specially since its usually just me). We've got some heavy use out of it. I'm looking to add 1 or 2 more taps to have cider /wine /soda on draft.

Back