Another 3 tier system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smonteton

Reaction score
My take on this basic build:mug:
hope somebody can learn from this!
cheers

2013-05-30 16.07.09.jpg

2013-05-30 16.07.20.jpg

2013-05-30 16.36.10.jpg

2013-05-30 16.37.04.jpg

2013-05-30 16.56.18.jpg

This is the finished look!
I was brewing as i was building it with the help of my friend. strawberry blond

2013-05-30 17.43.16.jpg

2013-05-30 17.44.39.jpg

2013-05-30 17.54.22.jpg

My setup looks very similar to yours. Pic below. One thing I learned was I needed some extra support lengthwise to prevent the shelves from basically flattening out. I screwed an extra section of 2x4 where I circled on the picture to prevent that from happening. I only had the shelves attached to the support beams using a single carriage bolt per beam/shelf connection (where the arrows are).

20130506_144242.jpg

Thats pretty nice , looks really clean! Im going to get casters tomorrow. Probably paint it or something. Its getting late so i will post more pics in the morning .

sorry guys for not posting any new pics i have been super busy with work. I did just brew another five gallons on it .I also put the casters on it . It is so nice to not have to stack every thing on on random items(chairs, bricks, 55 gallon drums LoL)

sorry guys for not posting any new pics i have been super busy with work. I did just brew another five gallons on it .I also put the casters on it . It is so nice to not have to stack every thing on on random items(chairs, bricks, 55 gallon drums LoL)

Damn work getting in the way of posting brewing pictures!

What is under the burner? I ask only because the one time that I used my burner on the grass last year, it killed the grass and as of yet, the grass has not returned normal.

Allow me to rephrase my question.

I am thinking of building something similar to these 3 tiers with top level being 8 gallon kettle as HLT. What can I use to protect the wooden surface under the burner?

i just have it on the pressed board, i dont think it gets hot enough to catch fire. If you were worried about it you could use a piece of metal as a base .

Allow me to rephrase my question.

I am thinking of building something similar to these 3 tiers with top level being 8 gallon kettle as HLT. What can I use to protect the wooden surface under the burner?

The wood will get warm. It will not get hot though. I personally have some left over hardwood flooring panels on each of my levels. You could easily go with MDF or even better yet a concrete fiberboard. The concrete is waterproof, heatproof, and fool proof.

Excellent. Thank you. I had tried a piece of sheet metal as a prototype and it reflected enough heat to make ball valve too hot to touch. Perhaps the concrete fiber board will be more suitable.
I am guessing that if I ask at Home Depot, they will know what MDF is.
Thanks again.

MDF is just saw dust glued together. It is quite strong (stronger than plywood) and can be found among the lumber. The concrete fiber board should be with the flooring materials.

The wood will get warm. It will not get hot though. I personally have some left over hardwood flooring panels on each of my levels. You could easily go with MDF or even better yet a concrete fiberboard. The concrete is waterproof, heatproof, and fool proof.

The only problem with MDF is that it absorbs water like a sponge and begins to blister up from it, not meant for wet locations unless you paint it to seal it.

Best bet is use the concrete boards like Durock. You can find them in all of the big chain stores (Home Depot, Lowes)and they come in different thicknesses.

Here is mine. I painted with black grill paint. I have been wanting to get some metal for under the burners but since I've used it Im not worried about it catching fire.
image-2266452412.jpg

My setup looks very similar to yours. Pic below. One thing I learned was I needed some extra support lengthwise to prevent the shelves from basically flattening out. I screwed an extra section of 2x4 where I circled on the picture to prevent that from happening. I only had the shelves attached to the support beams using a single carriage bolt per beam/shelf connection (where the arrows are).

Your approach is not terribly strong agianst the structure "collapsing." A diagonal is deisrable. The simplest might be an "X" of plumbers tape.

This said, your design and ~smontes's both have admirable traits. His, will shed a spill. ok. Your's, harder to clean, could contain one...! (His is outside; your's in inside...!) Your's could even have multi-level spill drains. A top most draining into a hose barb w/hose, could (if valved,) be washed and drained, or for a failure of a topmost container, drained below to the next level, to add capacity, and later drained, elsewhere.

Under kitchen sinks I often add linoleum and caulk the corners, & the sides 1" up. (If it runs onto the floor, you know there's a leak; instead of it runing under cabinets causing *serious* damage.) Similar effort makes these temporarily water-proof. Sinks, as it were.

I can see that a part of the structure, with sides & doors, or curtains, could be kept cleaner & used as storage. But if you have storage, having a 3-tier that collapses could be handy! Flatten and slide under your bed! (Orrrr... just hang on a wall... ;>) Add 2 large washers between wood at each carriage bolt, then use wing nuts. Remember the plumbers tape. Zinc is common & cheaper & stronger, but it's available in copper! ;>)

Trickier would be a rolling cabinet that has just a side that folds out. No harder, just all the figuring... the choices. SOO many choices! But less floorage and equipment, dust free. (In case yours gathers dust. ;>)

BillSF9c ('Frisco area)

Your approach is not terribly strong agianst the structure "collapsing." A diagonal is deisrable. The simplest might be an "X" of plumbers tape.

Don't need an X on a small stand like that. One 2X4 (or even a 2X2 or 2x1 shelving) crossbrace going from one bottom corner to the opposite top corner on one side then on the other, another 2X4 corssbrace going from the opposite top corner (not the same side as the other cross brace) to the opposite bottom corner.

Essentially when you look from the side with the cross braces, it should look like an X.

Plumbers Tape or Metal Banding would work but present sharp edges that one could get cut on especially working around the rig.

This said, your design and ~smontes's both have admirable traits. His, will shed a spill. ok. Your's, harder to clean, could contain one...! (His is outside; your's in inside...!) Your's could even have multi-level spill drains. A top most draining into a hose barb w/hose, could (if valved,) be washed and drained, or for a failure of a topmost container, drained below to the next level, to add capacity, and later drained, elsewhere.

Under kitchen sinks I often add linoleum and caulk the corners, & the sides 1" up. (If it runs onto the floor, you know there's a leak; instead of it runing under cabinets causing *serious* damage.) Similar effort makes these temporarily water-proof. Sinks, as it were.

I can see that a part of the structure, with sides & doors, or curtains, could be kept cleaner & used as storage. But if you have storage, having a 3-tier that collapses could be handy! Flatten and slide under your bed! (Orrrr... just hang on a wall... ;>) Add 2 large washers between wood at each carriage bolt, then use wing nuts. Remember the plumbers tape. Zinc is common & cheaper & stronger, but it's available in copper! ;>)

Trickier would be a rolling cabinet that has just a side that folds out. No harder, just all the figuring... the choices. SOO many choices! But less floorage and equipment, dust free. (In case yours gathers dust. ;>)

BillSF9c ('Frisco area)

I've had nothing but great success brewing with my rig. Spills are inevitable no matter what style rig you have. Mine rolls everything right off. And because I sprayed it with a clear poly coat I can hose it off with no issues at all. It is very sturdy in all directions now and would take quite a beating before it gave up any support at all. No accident would destroy this thing short of being run over by a car. Overall it's the best part of my entire setup making brew day WAY easier.

Back