Another “Save My Bines” Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardless

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Planted my hops rather late this year, but wanted to get the roots growing and maybe get a yield next year. They’re growing pretty much as I expected. The last few days I’m seeing some holes and browning on the leaves, but I don’t see any critters on them. Any idea what could be doing it, and if there is a solution? I’m in South Jersey if it helps.

IMG_4763.JPG
IMG_4764.JPG
IMG_4765.JPG

Well before posting this I looked around and didn’t see obvious signs for the cause. In my head the little holes screamed “caterpillar”. Well today I went over the leaves again and found the culprit:
IMG_4768.JPG

An infestation.

Not sure what type that is. Last year around this time I discovered a tent caterpillar nest on my cascade, but based on a google search that doesn’t seem to be what they look like. Don’t think they’re gypsy moth or webworms either. Wish I could be more help, I’ve also had to deal with leaf hoppers and Japanese beetles, it’s frustrating when little critters cause problems.

Look around here ther was another thread with a picture and name just a few days ago along with methods to decimate them..... I believe it was the flangilular method.

Squish them between the fingers!

Sprayed some organic insecticide on the leaves. We’ll see if it helps. If not, I have some Bt spray coming from Amazon that allegedly will do the trick.

Insecticide killed em off (the few I saw). Didn’t see any others and never got a chance to do the BT spray. Today SWMBO sent me a “there are like 100 caterpillars on the hops” message. I resolved to spray them with the BT just before sunset, which isn’t long after I get home from work. By the time I got there, zero- I mean zero- leaves left on the 4 plants. Grant it these were 1st year, small plants with a small amount of growth (planted late) but they cleaned em completely. I sprayed the BT on the hops and vines that were left and on any pests I saw. No clue if it will do anything now. Bummer.

Back