Another “fermentation stalled” thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnTheFlyBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed the attached recipe . The good news in this story is that I believe my efficiency is very good. At least that’s what I’m surmising from my OG. Recipe lists the OG as 1.058, but mine was 1.072 using a hydrometer.

My problem is that the fermentation started strong and vigorous, but lasted only a day. All my previous brews were three days before the fermentation stopped producing much CO2. I figured something was up so I took a reading. After letting sample degas for several hours and temperature rise to 70°, the gravity was 1.020.

I will check again two days after the first reading to see if the gravity is holding steady. If the gravity hasn’t changed, should I mix up a starter to get the last 6 points, or just let it be?

Attachments

• Holiday Prowler — Christmas Ale.pdf
    54.8 KB · Views: 18
That yeast is known for dropping out pretty quickly. You may want to rouse it and give it a few more days.

UPDATE: I pitched the yeast on Wednesday. By Thursday morning it was vigorously fermenting. Checked it Friday morning and no bubbles. Took the first reading on Saturday. Today (Sunday) I checked, and I was very happy to see that it was producing CO2 again. I have a Blichmann spunding valve that I had not used before. I thought I had it wide open for 0 psi fermentation, but it was obviously closed a little. The Unitank had around 5 psi on it. I opened it up all the way now.

Now I may be knocking off those last few gravity points. I’m wondering if it was just my inexperience in general, and with that yeast in particular.

I will wait a few more days and check the gravity again. Fingers crossed 🤞🏾 hoping I will be down to target FG by that time.

UPDATE 2: Apparently there wasn’t much fermentation still occurring. Day 10 since fermentation started, and the gravity is 1.019. Five points from where the recipe said it should bottom out. Still...that was a fair amount of sugars digested from 72 points down to 19.

Any suggestions? Too late for a starter to consume the last few sugars? Should I just let it ride?

Thanks,
Fly

I have a Blichmann spunding valve that I had not used before. I thought I had it wide open for 0 psi fermentation, but it was obviously closed a little. The Unitank had around 5 psi on it. I opened it up all the way now.

Opening a spunding valve all the way is like using an airlock without any liquid. I ferment nearly all my batches with a spunding valve, set to about 2 PSI.

UPDATE 2: Apparently there wasn’t much fermentation still occurring. Day 10 since fermentation started, and the gravity is 1.019. Five points from where the recipe said it should bottom out. Still...that was a fair amount of sugars digested from 72 points down to 19.

Any suggestions? Too late for a starter to consume the last few sugars? Should I just let it ride?

I would let it ride.

Recipe lists the OG as 1.058, but mine was 1.072 using a hydrometer.

Looking at your attached recipe, it looks like the 1.058 was based on the grains only, and didn't count the honey, syrup, and molasses.

Looking at your attached recipe, it looks like the 1.058 was based on the grains only, and didn't count the honey, syrup, and molasses.

Good catch. If I would have plugged the grains into a calculator, I probably would have figured that out. Bigger beer than I planned.

Opening a spunding valve all the way is like using an airlock without any liquid. I ferment nearly all my batches with a spunding valve, set to about 2 PSI.

Maybe I'm not describing it correctly, or didn't provide enough detail. I was still using a bucket with sanitizer for the blow off, so it wasn't being exposed to O2.

I would let it ride.

Ok. Thanks for the input.

Back