Announcing the release of 'Mash Made Easy' version 10.60

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
Mash Made Easy version 10.60 is now available for free download on my website in both the US and Metric editions.

Changes made since the previous version 10.55:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
1) Modified (and increased) the acid strength for Citric Acid as found within the 'Kettle pH Made Easy' utility for both editions.
2) Fixed errors discovered within exclusively the version 1.30 Metric edition of 'Kettle pH Made Easy'.
3) 'Kettle pH Made Easy' (accessed via the 'Kettle pH' sheet/tab) is now at version 1.35 for both editions.

**Anyone who uses (or intends to use) 'Kettle pH Made Easy' is urged to update to 'Mash Made Easy' version 10.60**

I just downloaded the new version. Something seemed different on the drop down for grain inputs. It did not give me options for common inputs like roasted or base malts.

I just downloaded the new version. Something seemed different on the drop down for grain inputs. It did not give me options for common inputs like roasted or base malts.

You likely have not been following the most recent progression of the MME updates. What you describe indicates that your MME is doing exactly as is now intended of it. In essence, if there is no drop-down category for a grist component, it simply gets assigned to "Not Categorized". All part of making 'Mash Made Easy' actually easy. And showing off new and powerful and well more sophisticated math modeling thereby.

You likely have also not followed my relatively recent posts detailing the truly abysmal scarcity of real titration derived BC's in conjunction with SIMULTANEOUS real measured pHDI data for the myriads of hundreds of malts and grains and adjuncts available to us today, let alone for the handful of these that represent those most highly marketed and used. If the data isn't there, that leaves the software developer with two choices:
1) Fake the missing data and baffle the unaware with your brilliance and understanding and research with regard to the BC's and pHDI's of gaggles of things for which no reliable and independently corroborated and repeatable data actually exists, let alone unreliable and not correlating or repeatable data sets, but look mind bogglingly impressive with drop downs including every grist choice under the sun thereby.
2) Develop the best math modeling for nominal malts, grists, and adjuncts that you can, and stop faking things as if you are in agreement with the approach represented by #1 above. I've chosen this path.

Last edited:
BTW, to get rid of the ugly squiggly 'spell check' red lines appearing throughout 'MME' when running it under 'LibreOffice Calc', do this:

Go to: Tools - Options - Language Settings - Writing Aids

Then look for "Check Spelling As You Type" under 'Options' and un-check it. Then hit "Apply". Save and the squiggly red lines should no longer appear.

My new version 10.65 computes your locations 'nominal' boiling temperature based upon your elevation, and then adjusts your IBU's in accordance with your nominal boiling temperature. This change occurs within the IBU sheet/tab. No other changes.

I just realized that the elevation modification I made in post #5 above permits 'MME' to be effectively 'tricked' into doing the computation of Whirlpool IBU contribution as follows.

For example let's say that I'm going to add 5 ounces of 12.5 AA Citra at 185 degrees F. and Whirlpool at 185 degrees F. for 30 minutes.

Conditions:
1) The post boil flame-out (I.E. still boiling hot, but just settled) volume in the kettle is seen to be 12 gal.
2) There will be no boil-off loss while at 185 degrees F. for Whirlpool, so the boil-off rate is now set to 0.
3) The projection is that after cooled to room temp. there will be 11.53 gallons of kettle Wort and Trub.
4) The 'OG' (SG) of a cooled to room temperature sample is measured to be 1.068 at this juncture.
5) At 14,435 feet of elevation water boils at 185 deg. F., so we set elevation to 14,435 feet and see 185 F.
6) We enter the 5 ounces of Citra (as 141.75 grams), and set AA's to 12.5, and set boil time (which is now our Whirlpool time) to 30 minutes.

The 'trick/predicted' result is that our Citra Whirlpool will contribute an additional 28.65 IBU's to our IBU total. It all looks like this (click on image to enlarge):
Whirlpool IBU.png

Last edited:
Back